ideal poultry question?

albird101

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 2, 2013
So my chicks shipped today, but the email said ships 72 hours from January the 21st, so does that mean there coming Friday? If so what should I buy to put in there water for when they arrive I have grow gel plus that gives them electrolytes and vitamins and hydrates them I can't wait

Any time I've ordered chicks, for example, if they are shipped on Monday, I get them om Wednesday. Only once has there been an exception and it took an additional day. I put a packet of electrolytes in the water, according to directions on the package. When you get your new chicks, be sure the water is room temp. Dip all of their beaks into the water. Don't give them any feed for the first couple of hours so any leftover egg from hatching will come out of their little bodies. Have the heat lamp up and running well before they arrive so you can regulate the temperature. I'm really sorry if you already know all of this. When I first got mine, I didn't know all of that..

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I haven't ordered chicks in the mail before, so can't be of much help. But, I hope they arrive safely!

welcome-byc.gif
We're glad you joined us!

You don't necessarily need to put anything in your chicks' water. However, vitamins/electrolytes (like sav-a-chic) from a livestock supply store will help boost the chicks' energy and help with shipping stress. The grow-gel should help, too.

Make sure to dip each chick's beak into the water as you put them in the brooder. It doesn't hurt to show them where the feed is, either. The sooner chicks begin eating and drinking on their own, the healthier they'll be.

Good luck!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

X2 on Bantam Lover. Sugar or apple cider vinegar in the water will boost their hydration and health when they first arrive.

Hello again.   I hope you will post photos of the new babies when they arrive.  What did you order?
I will, I ordered 15 easter eggers pullets so I'm expecting 1 or 2 cokerels from the bunch and I'm pretty sure I'm getting a lot more packing peanuts :)

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Welcome to BYC!!! There are loads of members on here…so if you have ANY questions…just ASK!!!

Hope you have loads of fun and all your answers answered here on BYC the BEST CHICKEN KEEPING FORUM on EARTH!!

welcome-byc.gif
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom