Ideal Poultry!

Have you ordered from Ideal Poultry this year (2011)?

• I ordered and already got my birds.

Votes: 66 36.7%
  • I ordered and I am awaiting my order!

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I wanted to order but they are sold out of what I want.

Votes: 18 10.0%
  • No. (This option is for Illia ;-)

Votes: 37 20.6%

• Total voters
Neither Ideal nor Cackle provide a list. The only hatchery I've heard of that does so is Sandhill, and that's only because they say so on their website. But half of the fun is trying to figure out what you got!

The reason they don't is because they just don't know. Ideal explained how they do it... For example, with Polish chicks, after all the orders for specific breeds have been filled, then all the polish would be combined and sold as a Crested Special. What is left from that gets combined with others for the Surprise Special. So at that point they really don't know - everything's been mixed together!

I had always pictured it as they'd have all the different breeds in big tubs, and they'd take your box and take a few from here and a few from there, etc. But that doesn't seem to be the way they do it!

I buy a lot of them to resale on Craigslist. I don't usually end up making much, but as long as I come out in the green I'm happy. Plus I keep quite a few! But be prepared for what you'll do if they don't sell well and you end up with a lot of chicks! And sales are very sporadic... usually it's just someone who wants 3-6, but occasionally someone will get a bunch. One lady came and got 15 bantams. Just today a lady got 14 polish.

Offer different pricing for the number of chicks they get. I usually charge $5 each for 1-2 chicks - both to encourage them to get more as well as to make it at least worth my time when they are only buying 2! Then $4 for 3-6, and then $3.50 for 6+. Figure out how much they cost you and go from there. But if you don't know the breed or sex, you'd probably want to charge less.

Last edited:
That makes sense. I thought, as you said, they had a bunch of tubs and grabbed a few of each. But I guess if they dump them all together, they would not take the time to identify them for each order. I just don't have the experience with enough chickens to be able to identify the less common ones. I would have a field day on this sight with all of you helping me though.

By not impressed I mean a lot of them had pecked eyes maybe 10? Is this normal? I hope they will be OK. They seem to all be healthy and eating and drinking. Even the one with pecked eyes. I can see how this chicken thing can get addictive! I'm hooked.

I got some im yesterday looks just like yours from the mix and there barred rocks looks like and I got some ideal 236 and buffs

I think I got some easter eggers also. Not sure. They have little muffs on them. they are super cute! I love them all. Going to sell as many as possible. Keep what's left. Hopefully none of them will be left so I can just order some more!

Back
Top Bottom