Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2. Bottom of L over the chicken door

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Wladka

In the Brooder
May 19, 2017
Michigan
Hi Everyone, my husband are trying to decide the best location for our roosting bar/droppings board. Our coop interior is L shaped (because we researched on BYC and decided to have a "closet" area).
Our two location options are:
1. The long wall of L. There are no windows, and that only gives about 18-20" of wiggle room between the roost and interior wall.
2. The bottom of the L area, however that would mean putting the roosting bars/droppings board over the chicken door.

I'm wondering if anyone has put their roost over the chicken door with the droppings board to protect someone getting pooped on. Also we are planning to eventually have an automatic door opener and wondering if that would be a problem.

Thanks you for your thoughts!

if it were me, based on how my burds act, i'd put roosts in both spots.

the only reasons mine go in the coop is for nesting boxes or to roost at night. that's why i have roost bars everywhere.

i have a 2x4 frame that has 3 levels... each a foot higher than the last, arranged kind of like stairs, and no poop board...it just falls to the compost on the floor. if you are down there when the bomb bay doors open, too bad.

the highest level is directly above the door, nothing shielding it. it works fine.

keep in mind these are just chickens...they need food, water, a clean dry area, a secure area from predation at night, and that's just about it. the rest is all just asthetics that should appeal to you.

Last edited:
I'll start out showing my juvenile roost over the nests with the top of the nests actin as a droppings board.

Nests.JPG

Then a brooder built into the coop under the main roosts with the top of the brooder acting as a droppings board.
Main Roosts.JPG

I do not have a droppings board over my pop door but I suggest you make the roosts convenient for you. The roosts need to be higher than anything you don't want them sleeping on. 12" from the wall is enough. If you are going to eventually use an automatic opener figure out how before you install anything that might be in the way.

Everyone wants the "best", that's understandable. To me the best is higher than anything you don't want them sleeping on, enough roost space so they are not crowded, and (extremely important) convenient for you. Don't agonize over making the chickens happy, they'll be OK.

Show a picture of the coop with brief description of dimensions. How many birds to be supported?
Building a coop for ~20 chickens, but currently have 6. The shape is 8x12 with a "closet" that cuts out a 3.5 ft x 6 area, making it an L. Here are the interior pictures. The bottom of L has the two windows and the door, the long wall has nesting boxes at one end.

Attachments

• IMG_4382.JPG
    IMG_4382.JPG
    160 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4383.JPG
    IMG_4383.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4384.JPG
    IMG_4384.JPG
    196.9 KB · Views: 19
I would go over the door. I'd set two, maybe three 2X4" roost bars, depending on the depth of that area. With the bars spaced 18" or so apart. And, make the roost bars removable, makes it easier at clearing time. Make it so the bars sit in notches, so they can easily be popped out.

it looks like you have something electrical above the pop door, what's going on with that? Should that be part of the decision-making process?

How long is that wall with the windows?

it looks like you have something electrical above the pop door, what's going on with that? Should that be part of the decision-making process?

How long is that wall with the windows?
The wall with the windows is 8ft. That outlet is there for a future automatic chicken door and was part of my concern with that location, just not sure how much of an issue that is. The roosting bar closes to that outlet would be high above it. I guess I could always put a panel over top to protect from chicken curiosity.

If the roosting bar and the droppings board are above it, then it should not be an issue. The droppings board will protect it.

I'd be OK with two 8' roosts above that wall for 20 hens. It should be enough.

IMG_4636.JPG
Wanted to update everyone that we went with your suggestions for the shorter of the two walls and put up two roosts. Thanks for the input!

Back
Top Bottom