Ideal run flooring for British weather

PoppySeedy

Chirping
May 14, 2021
So, this coming summer we want to expand our chickens area and build them a proper run, with wooden framework and better metal etc. Currently my hens live on wooden flooring, like decking, and it works pretty good in regards to drainage and being easy to clean as I can just spray it. However I was wondering if I could create a sort of drainage system on top of the decking so I could give them a flooring they could dig (to help with boredom)

I have already thought that I could start with a layer of larger rocks on the bottom and then add a layer of rubber chips on top of that, with the idea that if it heavily rained or I had to spray the rubber to clean it the water would drain into the rocks and then through the cracks in the decking. However, I am not a professional and would like to know what other people think of this idea. Could it work? Or should I just stick to the wooden flooring as it's tried and tested good?

Chickens really need natural ground to dust bath in and scratch in.
I would not consider decking of any sort a good base for a run.
If rain and flooding is a problem deep digging the ground in the run will help with drainage.
Given you are rebuilding you have the chance to dig in proper drainage.
Have a look on the net for French Drains and consider making something similar to remove the excess water from the run.

Not sure they would enjoy digging thru rubber chips and large rocks?
The rocks could create niches were the poops might gather.

Can you post pics of the area?
Where does all the sprayed water go?

Back
Top Bottom