Ideal size of coop and run and introducing flocks

NoraJeann

In the Brooder
Mar 13, 2016
Okay, so I currently have two coops one is a store bought 6 hen max, and the other is a 20 x 8, but is as of now just a run with a small dog house for laying, and a few roosts. The small one has 6 hens inside it and the large has 7 hens and a rooster. So in total 14 birds. 6 ameracauna hens,1 rooster, 2 rhode island reds, 2 Plymouth rock, 1 maran, and a small bantam. I need to know of they can all fit comfortably in the 20x8, after I build an actually coop inside of it. Also best way to introduce the 6 hens to the other 7,the rooster already knows both and happily goes in with both flocks, but the 6 have never met the 7. Thanks in advanced, sorry for such a long message!

4 ft per bird in the coop and 10 ft per bird in the run. It really would just depend on final layout. The 20x8 would be room for about 16 as just the run. Buy you need about 56sq ft for the coop . 6x10 would be a simple coop size,and give you room for chicks but I think that would tale up to much of your run unless you built it elevated or out side attached

4 ft per bird in the coop and 10 ft per bird in the run. It really would just depend on final layout. The 20x8 would be room for about 16 as just the run. Buy you need about 56sq ft for the coop . 6x10 would be a simple coop size,and give you room for chicks but I think that would tale up to much of your run unless you built it elevated or out side attached

hmm I may consider taking a wall down and building a 6x10 coop, or maybe an elevated 8 x 8.

If I ever get my ranch (and can finally get more chickens) I'm hoping to make sure I have a big coop (or 2) mines just a little 4x6 and for my 6 girls if it's pouring rain outide they all huddle in and it really seems so small. Actually makes me feel bad when it's to yucky for them to play in the run

Back
Top Bottom