IDEAL vs. McMURRAY

arwmommy

Songster
12 Years
Apr 13, 2007
California
OK, all things being equal (they both have the breeds I want), which hatchery is better? Which have you had better experiences from? Who has healthier chicks?

Or......are they both really the same, huge chicken mills, and each shipment has equal chance of having a chick die, getting left in the cold by the Post Office, etc.....

Any real differences??????

PS- I live in CA, so both are really far from me!

I've ordered from McMurray. Chicks were extremely healthy upon arrival. I had no problems what so ever. None died, all were pullets as ordered.

I plan on ordering form Ideal next order since they have some breeds I need that McMurray doesn't so I'm interested to compare for myself. Ideal I believe is cheaper. I ordered from McMurray again this time because they ship earlier than Ideal.

I'd like to try different ones, so I can get the best chicks for the best price etc. Since I order for people and brood them and sell them.

The other thing I like about Ideal is they will mark the roos. if you order some and request it. So I'm hoping that works out for me. I'm also considering Meyer.

Forgot to put in original post that one of the things swaying me toward Ideal is that they are BYC Sponsors! Good Job Ideal!

Also, Ideal phone rep says they won't be able to ship my breeds for sure until Mid March, and McMurray is saying Feb 11 !

Breeds: (all bantam)
Blue Cochin
Red Cochin
Birchen Cochin
Buff Cochin
Partridge Cochin
Porcelain D Uccle
Mille Fleur D Uccle
Americauna

I have gotten all my bantams from Ideal, and I just love them, also your are closer to ideal so not as much stress on the chicks.

I don't know about Ideal, but I have ordered from McMurray for years. They have pretty good stock for a hatchery. The only complaint I can say is that I did get a couple OEG BB Red bantams that had yellow shanks out of a batch of 25. Not sure where that came from...Otherwise, all have been healthy and McMurray has such great customer service. I have never gotten crooked toes or bent legs from them like I have some other hatcheries. And they have been 100% sexed correctly out of about 250 birds so far, knock on wood.

I just ordered 25 of their EE bantams for fun. I can let you know what they are like. I go down to pick them up on Feb 9th. Sure hope I get a good variety...

i use ideal it is real good
woot.gif

Sorry - I can't compare, I've only ever received chicks from Ideal - they were healthy - well they still ARE....

all round a good experience, the chicks arrived a day earlier than expected, so I was thrilled!

GOod luck!

Back
Top Bottom