IDEAL vs. McMURRAY

I am going to add
roll.png
...have you tried Cackle Hatchery? They're really good! All of my farmer friends that raise broilers and eggs for sale, get cackle birds.

Quote:
It could be that Ideal is erring on the side of caution and waiting till March to lessen the chance of a cold snap? (Just guessing). I personally have heard good things about both, more about Ideal than McMurray. Also, Ideal has some chicks I want sexedwhereas McMurray only offers them straight run and I don't wanna wind up with a bunch of roos.
I've said it before, I'll say it again...which is closer to you? Just because baby chicks can be shipped across country, doesn't mean it's the best thing for them. Ideal is alot closer to me than McMurray. Another plus for me.

I've only dealt with Ideal and I go there to pick up my chicks in person. They are very nice. Their facility is smack dab in the middle of the tiny town of Cameron - it's literally in the middle of nowhere. It's so amusing to drive into town and see this huge 19th century building with the gigantic Ideal chick logo painted on the side of it - there's no mistaking where it is. I'll be going up there again in a few weeks to pick up a few more chicks. My chicks from them have been very healthy and beautiful and I've been very happy with them. Someone mentioned that they wished they sold sexed Polish - that is the only problem I have with Ideal as well - I would love to be able to add a Polish pullet to my flock . . .

thanks for this post, I'm going to be ordering chicks, never raised them before so this will be the first order for me, not quite the first experience...i grew up in rural PA. and had them roamin around but didnt have anything to do with them. When you are a teenage boy chickens are so not cool LOL.....now that I'm old
roll.png
and understand the benefits of raising your own I'm all about it.

I dont want alot of chicks...(I'm sure yall never heard that one before )LOL....... just a few for laying, some silkies and some cornish x's.

I gotta get on the ball and get a chest freezer those cornish grow fast!!.

I'll check out both Ideal and MM and see who has the best deal on what I'm looking for.

PS: I already warned people at work (airline) to be ready for feb 11th because we're going to be getting ALOT of baby chicks....they looked at me like I was crazy till I explained the hatchery ship date...we carry alot of em for the USPS.

If you can find anyone in north Florida that processes chickens, please let me know. Im getting 6 cornish cross from MM as an experiment. I also know Im going to end up with a lot of roos, since Im going to fire up my incubator pretty soon. I figure Ill probably either sell the roos, or put them in the crock pot to feed my puppies, but its the part between catching them and pulling them out of the freeze that Im not too sure on
wink.png

i ordered from both last year and ideal worked the best for me ideal all chicks made it save but with mm they sent 2 orders and both were not chick friendly orders. pretty little one.

Back
Top Bottom