Ideal

When they show symptoms, they die within hours. We have lost 14 & have 9 left. Of the 9 left, one is now showing signs of cross beak. I am not happy. The chicks we hatched here were the same age and were brooded together. None of those have died or even been ill. Many of those that died showed no symptoms. Some showed wing droop or leg paralysis. One had a snoring sound while gasping. I think I may have seen some bloody droppings on one of the dead ones this morning, but I wasn't sure. We were told a necropsy couldn't be done on dead birds and only on live birds that were showing symptoms. I tend to think the problem *might* lie with the hatchery since those are the only birds affected, KWIM? We ordered them through Ideal from our feed store where we could share shipping with someone else. Will Ideal still likely replace them?

I wish I knew what was wrong where I can treat them. We have tried Sulmet, ACV, probiotics, and now are trying corid. The 14 deaths have occured over a three week period now. An online contact of mine locally is having the same problem with the chicks she got from Ideal a few weeks before we did. None of her chicks or older birds dying, but she has lost almost all of hers from Ideal.

Nearly all of my birds are from Ideal too, and I've never had a problem. I'd suggest you stop posting here and go pick up a phone and call them for information and assistance. If there's a problem with the hatch, they need to know. And if the birds were contaminated at the feed store, they need to know that too.

You can do a lot of damage to a hatchery's reputation with speculation.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.CountryChickens.com

I will post back with what I find out. I would want to know if someone had not had problems with their own chicks but were having problems with an order of chicks from a hatchery. It just doesn't make sense that the only birds that are having problems are the hatchery chicks when they are housed together. Shouldn't they all be having the same problem?

Quote:
Hello,

If you are having problems with your chicks, then you should really get them tested. Let us know the results. As for treatment, it is not wise to treat chicks without knowing the problem. Sulmet is a very strong drug. We do not recommend it. Amprol works on Cocci, and it not as harsh as the sulfa drugs. It is a great drug, but very rough. Are any of the other chicks from the feed store you bought from dying? I would call the feed store and ask. A necropsy is done on dead birds that are or are not showing symptoms. They can be carriers and will have the virus or diease present. Do you know who told you otherwise? Please give us a call so we can go over your order and discuss your options.

Thank You,
Mikaela Fuchs
Ideal Poultry Breeding Farms, Inc.
Po Box 591
Cameron, Texas 76520
800-243-3257 ext. 5411
254-697-2393 Fax
http://www.idealpoultry.com/

Quote:
Not necessarily. Since you ordered from a feed store, do you know what they were vaccinated for, if anything. If your order birds have been vaccinated, then our birds would be sick. This is a common mistake customer make when purchasing poultry. We do not automatically vaccinate everything that leaves the hatchery. Some people dont have a problem with Mareks, so why would we infect their clean flock?

yay! Ideal! Thanks for stepping in to help this person! That shows some good character right there!
thumbsup.gif

Since they were bought through the feed store, it is also entirely possible they caught something there after having been received. You may have to go through the feed store to trace the shipment.

Quote:
This is an excellent point. This is why testing is critical. If we know the problem, then we can treat it properly and maybe find a source.

Thank you Ideal:) I am learning not to rely too heavily on our local extension. We have been following what they have suggested. I also told my husband over dinner that maybe the feed store was the culprit since it wasn't ordered straight to our home. I will be contacting them tomorrow since they have all of the order information. Perhaps that is why those of us in our area are having trouble. I have not found someone local to come and test live birds. I also have not found anyone to do a necropsy on an already dead bird. Our local farm vet does not work with poultry and he is the only farm vet in a very large area. I will call and talk to him personally tomorrow since he is a family friend. He might be able to make an exception or help me find some place that is not two hours away or won't sacrifice a bird that seems to be perfectly healthy right now. The response I have gotten from Ideal today makes me feel like they very much care about their birds and I wish we had dealt directly with them instead of through the feed store. I didn't even know if I could contact them since the order wasn't in my name, but I can say they have been very helpful and I sincerely appreciate it.

Try the state veterinarian's office. If they don't do it they will know who does.

Feed store....somebody come in with something on shoes or hands?
I'd be wondering.

I've ordered from Ideal several times and I'm very happy with them.

Back
Top Bottom