Ideals Red Broilers, Have you had them?

Quote:
No leg problems at all.

I like them. My biggest roo at 11 wks was over 6 lbs easy, however this is one of the ones that dropped dead.

Ideal has a special going on with the red and black broilers. I'm thinking about getting some. I have read everyone's posts here. Sounds like good birds to have.

I have had red broilers. I don't know if they were from Ideal though.

My red broilers didn't get as big as our black broilers (and of course not as big as the CX). They grew well we didn't have any health issues with them. I held back 2 reds for breeding. They seem to lay fairly regular and their eggs are large. I am currently hatching some eggs from the hens and they seem to incubate well.

Our average hens are between 6 and 6.5 pounds. They achieved that weight relatively quick probably about 14 weeks. They started laying about normal time.

I have had red broilers. I don't know if they were from Ideal though.

My red broilers didn't get as big as our black broilers (and of course not as big as the CX).  They grew well we didn't have any health issues with them.  I held back 2 reds for breeding.  They seem to lay fairly regular and their eggs are large. I am currently hatching some eggs from the hens and they seem to incubate well.

Our average hens are between 6 and 6.5 pounds.  They achieved that weight relatively quick  probably about 14 weeks.  They started laying about normal time.

So you would suggest the black broilers as far as processing for a lot of meat?

Actually I think I'd go with Red. While I kept out a large fast growing Black for breeding. Out of the few birds we had of each the Red grew fast and more consistent. The black was all over the map. Had some small, some large. The red all got to a slaughter weight looking similar and all being large birds. Some of the black were bigger but some were downright small. I kept the quickest, largest roo which was a black. He also has what I would think is a great structure for mating. He may be close to 8 lbs but he has very tall legs and a wide set. He is still growing some.

But if I can get them to 5 or 6 pounds in 12-18 weeks I'll be happy.

It is a hybrid, it won't breed true.

I'll let you know in 14 weeks how it goes and what comes out.

I don't expect to get the same steady consistent growth as a broiler bird, meaning the birds will probably vary more.

I do expect 2 large meaty birds will breed a large meaty bird.

Also I crossed a Black with a Red so I'm hoping to retain some hybrid vigor.

Might be a total failure but I'll eat those scrawny little roos if it is. Might just turn out some decent size birds. I don't expect them to outperform or even keep up performance of the original. I also don't think I'll hatch a leghorn.

I have ideal red broilers. I bought them on sale, and have mixed feelings.
The good: behavior & healthwise, they are excellent birds. Friendly-even the roosters-- great foragers, able to roost at night, active & chickeny, unlike Cx. They free range during the day: I had planned to keep them in a tractor, but I just leave the door open. I'm going to keep a few hens with the layer flock. Tastewise, they are absolutely delicious. Better than pastured CX by a mile, in my opinion.

The bad: They love eating chicken feed, but don't put on the weight like CX. I just butchered four of the chickens, and at 12 weeks they all ranged between 3-4 lbs. dressed (2 skinned,2 plucked, weight not including necks, feet, liver, gizzard, heart, all of which I kept). At those weights, I wonder if I might be better off trying a heritage breed next time. I've been very happy overall with the birds, and that's a perfect-sized chicken for us. But if I'm taking a life to feed my family, I'd like leftovers.

Overall: If you want a big 8-lb. roaster, and a low, low price per lb., I don't think you'll get it. but if the chicken's health & happiness..and taste (!!) are primary, they're a good bet.

I am at a complete loss....

So its a hybrid and wont breed true...

1. Obviously its offspring arent going to be "leghorns"

2. They arent going to come out same as parents

Question: So is the offspring going to be *some* mother parent breed and *Some* father parent breed?

Back
Top Bottom