Ideal's Wyandottes

Twin Willows

In the Brooder
9 Years
Jul 27, 2010
I'd like to hear of other grower's experiences with Ideal Hatchery's various varieties of standard Wyandottes. I would like to order in the spring of 2011, probably Buff, Silver, Gold, Columbian and Partridge, 50 or 60 chicks. Do they have good type? Good egg producers? healthy?

I ordered Bantam Wyandottes. Good color and type. Only issue was several had white shanks. Will cull heavy on this. Spoke to Ross at Ideal and they are going to double check their breeders for any with white shanks.

47716_buff_wyandotte_bantams.jpg

Last edited:
Any standard hatchery wyandotte is NOT going to have the type or look of a wyandotte bred to the APA standard. Wyandottes bred tot he APA standard get HUGE,.. but they are slow to mature/

Try Paul's Poultry out of FL for standard wyandottes of good type in many varieties. Remember, it costs the same to feed a good quality bird as a poor quality bird- the cost of the chick is one of the less expensive parts of keeping poultry!

Here are a few pics of my SLWs. They are over a year old now and they're okay chickens. I have two, out of 5 different varities of the same age. The Wyandottes laying is not as consistant as the red-sex link or barred rocks. Also, the eggs are large, but really run the smallest out of all the chickens. They are very pretty chickens, but the personalities of both of mine are not super-friendly and are the "alphas" in the flock.
CIMG2697.jpg

CIMG3221.jpg

I've read through other postings in this catagory and hatchery bashing seems to happen a lot. If it's justified or not, I'm not sure. Some hatcheries are obviously better than others, there is a growing demand for chicks, so someone has to supply them. I've read that some hatcheries buy out retiring breeders or get their stock from various breeders. I wonder if some of the larger hatcheries are upgrading their breeding stock periodically or if they are left stagnant.
I once talked with a BLRW breeder and he said that if I was looking for production agriculture, then his birds weren't for me. Well, a Wyandotte should average around 4+ eggs a week (a RIR will lay more, there are breeds that lay less), if a breeder is just looking for type and ignoring production, is that a well rounded chicken?
These are thoughts bouncing around in my head!

Quote:
I don't know that I'd call it hatchery bashing....more a realistic view of what to expect when you order from a hatchery. You would be hard pressed to find a hatchery that's birds overall come anywhere near the APA standard. Even if they would happen to buy out a retiring breeder it will not take long before the quality of the birds goes downhill....hatcheries are more interested in quantity as opposed to culling and keeping the quality of the birds at a high standard. Doesn't mean that the birds aren't fine for a backyard laying flock.....just that the odds of them looking like the pictures they use (most times not even their own birds) are not very likely. Hatchery birds will lay you lots of eggs and if that's all you care about then they'll work out just fine.

I will say that overall all my birds (all originating from breeder lines, not hatchery) lay very well. They are slower to mature for the most part than a hatchery bird, but I know they won't burn themselves out laying as the hatchery stock that starts laying earlier and may or may not lay more eggs. I would consider my birds "well rounded" birds.

ETA: I had nothing but hatchery stock for many, many years before I made the switch to breeder lines. Have never regretted making the switch.

Last edited:
Well, here is the plan!
smile.png

We have a small farm and currently raise Polled Herefords, chickens (assorted breeds), market hay, maple syrup and have a small egg market. We currently have Barred Rocks, Buff Orps, Black Australorps, Silver Laced Wyandottes and Gold Laced Wyandottes. The Wyandottes are from 3 different sources so their breeding is different. The Golds seem friendlier and a bit more calm, but it could be the way they were raised as we got them all as hens or pullets. We do like the Wyandottes and would like to get more and perhaps start raising our own chicks.
I would like to see some of Ideal's standard Wyandottes the folks have purchased if anyone out there can send some photos. Our plans now are to get about 5 varieties of Wyandotte chicks next spring from Ideal Hatchery (probably a total of 50), all pullets and raise them and see which variety suites us best. Then I think it would be best to purchase a rooster of that variety from a reputable breeder and get some chicks from the best of our hens. It is doubtfull that we will show, but we do want good stock.
Is this a good plan or not? Open to suggestions.

Email from Ideal:

We have a Great Sale on Guineas this week.

Special Guinea Sale for 8-4

Hatchery Choice Guineas are now available for $2.00 for 25 or more $1.80 for 50 or more and $1.60 for 100 or more.

Regular price range is $3.00 to $3.23

Regular small order charge of $7.00 applies, as does the $.15 for air mail charges. The minimum order is 25 guineas. This special is valid through 8-4-10.

Order now on our website, place order code ASK10 in the comment section or call us at 800-243-3257 option 2, to place your order for this great special.

Sincerely,

Teri Adcox
Ideal Poultry

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

email: [email protected]
phone: 254-697-6677
web: http://www.idealpoultry.com

Back
Top Bottom