Ideas for breeds of chickens!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by rdcowman, Dec 13, 2016.

1. rdcowman

rdcowman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2016
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Great thanks! Were do you get your chickens?

2. rdcowman

Oct 28, 2016
    Iowa
    My Coop
    I've heard about Murray McMurray Hatchery! I just checked out there website. they have good prices! They only have chicks, right? Do you have any advice for raising baby chicks? I have read a lot of stuff for raising baby chicks! I feel like it will be a lot of work and money to have baby chicks.

Any Advice??

3. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I buy from breeders all across the US. Either hatching eggs, chicks, or adult birds and have them shipped to me or meet them if they are in driving distance. Or I go to some of the poultry show and buy from other show breeders.

4. rdcowman

Oct 28, 2016
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Cool! I might try ordering chickens or chicks from Murray McMurray Hatchery this Spring! Have you ordered from them before?

5. rdcowman

Oct 28, 2016
    Iowa
    My Coop
    What are your favorite breeds of chickens?

6. Gray Farms

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I would recommend Ideal first and Cackle second. The vast majority of the McMurray birds I've seen matured to be poor representatives of there breeds. And McMurray's prices are high for what you get. They've gone to quantity over quality. But I'll get down off my soapbox now lol.

7. Gray Farms

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    Brahmas, Spitzhaubens, Sumatras, English Orpingtons, Swedish Flowers, Iowa Blues would be my top six.

8. rdcowman

Oct 28, 2016
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Ohh... Ok! I wondered about the prices!! I'll check it out! Thanks so much for your information that you gave me! I really appreciate it!

9. rdcowman

Oct 28, 2016
    Iowa
    My Coop
    Were do you get your chickens? Are bantams and Orpingtons a good cold hardy good egg laying breed?

10. rdcowman

Oct 28, 2016
    Iowa
    My Coop
    What breed would you guys recommend? What I'm worried about is that do I need to get the same breed of chickens that I have know? The chickens that I get this spring will they get along with my other chickens?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by