Ideas for Chain Link Enclosures

Quote:
i've had the same thoughts. i wish the 6ml plastic i use was actually clear so they could see out. And then there is the problem of wanting the pens uncovered when the weather is nice then wrapped when it's cold with the wind blowing. i do have one chain link pen where i roll and unroll the plastic vertically depending on weather. But i still need to secure it with cable ties each time i roll it back over the pen. With my wood post runs i staple the plastic in place, so would be a pain to undo it and redo it every other day.

It is quite the challenge making sure the girls get enough light in the winter. Right now i have xmas lights in their run, but they're the colored type and not bright enough. i may go out on payday and buy some of the white xmas lights. i feel safer using the outdoor xmas lights in the run as i know they're made to be used outside in the elements. And those white ones put out quite a bit of light.

Here are a couple of pics of my setup.

33356_img_2030.jpg

33356_img_2029.jpg

Quote:
i've had the same thoughts. i wish the 6ml plastic i use was actually clear so they could see out. And then there is the problem of wanting the pens uncovered when the weather is nice then wrapped when it's cold with the wind blowing. i do have one chain link pen where i roll and unroll the plastic vertically depending on weather. But i still need to secure it with cable ties each time i roll it back over the pen. With my wood post runs i staple the plastic in place, so would be a pain to undo it and redo it every other day.

It is quite the challenge making sure the girls get enough light in the winter. Right now i have xmas lights in their run, but they're the colored type and not bright enough. i may go out on payday and buy some of the white xmas lights. i feel safer using the outdoor xmas lights in the run as i know they're made to be used outside in the elements. And those white ones put out quite a bit of light.

What I hope to do next year is put some "storm windows" in the front of the runs. I have two 6' in front and 5' in the back. The front faces east so they get the morning sun. I might even convert the runs to coops with dirt floors or at least one of them. They are covered with metal sheeting from Lowes.

Anyhow this way I can keep the plastic up longer and open the window for ventilation.
Although the backs aren't covered with plastic. Still the poor birds can't see out and I can't see in.

Okay--will get some brighter bulbs. I too, was thinking of a way to roll up the plastic--not just for the light, but I like for the birds to see outside...to look around. Money has been tight so the chain link fences are not affixed with those vertical metal poles that often come with them--we just have large rolls of chain link and have used heavy wooden poles to keep the chain link upright, affixed with those heavy nails that look like staples... unfortunately, there is a bit of give at the bottom, so any really large dog that wants to dig to go underneath, has the possibility of doing so, like we had in July. But since July we have had the pulsating electric fence, both at the top and the bottom, and have no further problems. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Back
Top Bottom