New coop and run from an existing kennel

ChickenMathLady

Songster
May 26, 2020
Metro Detroit
Hi Backyard Chicken Tenders!

We're looking at purchasing new property and it has a kennel with a small dog run that leads into a larger fenced in run that we think would be perfect for our chickens. I'm brainstorming what we would need to do in order to get our flock set up. Right now, we'll be looking at hatching chicks in spring to make our flock around 20 birds to start, provided all goes well with the sale.

The setup:
Inside the kennel/barn:
3 chain-link enclosures with doors that latch to allow free access to the outdoor run. There are already full doors to access them from the inside. The kennel/barn seal fully, so we wouldn't have to worry about predators getting in.
Things we'll add for sure to the inside:
1. Nest boxes
2. Roosting bars
3. Feeders and waterers... this might go inside and it might in the run in case they refuse to step outside during the winter.
Maybe things: fans for air circulation, hardware cloth in one of the windows to allow for ventilation since I'm assuming a normal window screen won't hold up to predators.

Outside run area:
Again, there are 3 separate chain-link areas that are enclosed around the sides.
1. Either add hardware cloth all the way around and skirt it (red line) or add hardware cloth to the front, sides, and skirt and some sort of roofing (green lines).
**This would be their safe space to run away to
With a concrete base, for the inside coop part, what litter would you use? I'm thinking about a litter pan under the roosting boards with sand/hemp/pine pellets: something scoopable for the inside.

Outside the run(not pictured): there is fencing for a fairly large pasture, maybe half an acre, that is fenced with chain link and joins to the main coop. We're thinking we would either need a hot wire or some other type of predator protection. Eventually, likely a LGD would be the best but that's not an option just yet.

Chicken coop inside.png
Chicken barn building inside.png

Chicken run outside.png

3. Feeders and waterers... this might go inside and it might in the run in case they refuse to step outside during the winter.
Maybe things: fans for air circulation, hardware cloth in one of the windows to allow for ventilation since I'm assuming a normal window screen won't hold up to predators.
You can probably have food and water inside and out, depending on how much room there is (since you don't own it yet I don't assume you can get measurements?) and depending on if the run is climate protected. I like to keep my birds moving around with food so I have a feeder inside as well as multiple bowls outside.

Window screens will not keep out predators. You will however need more ventilation than a single window provides. For 20 birds you'd want 20 sq ft open 24/7, and optimally the option of more in summer if it gets hot.
1. Either add hardware cloth all the way around and skirt it (red line) or add hardware cloth to the front, sides, and skirt and some sort of roofing (green lines).
Roofing would be optimal to keep snow out of that space, so it's usable in winter. You mention that you're willing to let them use the grassy area past that, so that will help provide more room plus give them stuff to dig around in, as chickens love digging and scratching.
With a concrete base, for the inside coop part, what litter would you use? I'm thinking about a litter pan under the roosting boards with sand/hemp/pine pellets: something scoopable for the inside.
Sounds like you're describing poop boards, which should work fine since there's room inside to maneuver.

Back
Top Bottom