Ideas For Converting This Into A Coop?

BrierRabbit

Chirping
6 Years
May 5, 2013
Jenkins, Ky
Hello! I'm about to embark on the adventure of purchasing my first chickens
yippiechickie.gif
My forte has always been rabbits and I've bred SQ Mini Rex for four years. They've all been moved into the bunny barn so I have a three story hutch standing empty. Any ideas on how I can convert this into a coop? If all else fails then I'll just tear it apart for scrap wood but I worked so hard building it that I'd rather make use of it. Here are some pictures. Its not in quite as good shape now (hey, its had litters of rabbits living in it for two years!) but a good scrub and new paint would fix it up. Each story is 2ft high x 4ft wide x 3ft deep.

Last edited:
Take shelves out, seriously sanitize it, lay it on it's back and it would be a good brooder....too small for a coop.

Last edited:
I think it's a great start for a coop that will hold 3 hens if your going by the 4sq feet per hen rule. I'd take the top shelf out, use that wood and make an exterior nest box. Build a run off the front about 8-10 feet and use under the bottom shelf to place food and water out of the elements. Put a roost in the upper part and you have a functioning coop if your just looking for a few birds. Good luck!

I think it's a great start for a coop that will hold 3 hens if your going by the 4sq feet per hen rule. I'd take the top shelf out, use that wood and make an exterior nest box. Build a run off the front about 8-10 feet and use under the bottom shelf to place food and water out of the elements. Put a roost in the upper part and you have a functioning coop if your just looking for a few birds. Good luck!

Thanks! I think I'll be doing something similar to this :) Maybe adding some wheels so they won't completely murder my grass
roll.png
I only plan on using it to house a few bantam hens so I didn't want something ginormous.

Back
Top Bottom