Ideas for Emergency Management in Case of Wildfires?

goats-n-oats

Songster
Feb 10, 2022
You've probably heard about the fires in Canada, Maui, now Spokane. There was one tiktok video of the aftermath in Maui, and one live chicken ran across the road. I am wondering how to save my flock, and my other livestock, in case of a raging fire storm like these. I am in a rural area on five acres with 1/3 acre pond. The chickens live in a barn, part steel and part wood walls. I was thinking of buying a trash pump and hose to use to put out any fire using the pond water. What would chickens do? Any ideas how to be prepared?

Here’s what I did a few years ago. Short mowed my 5 acres, took a blade on my tractor and scraped around the perimeter. The fire occurred during a long dry spell. There were high winds forecast. When the fire started, we were already under high fire danger and I had done the prelimary work around my 5 acres. Mowing all but eliminates the fuel that would have been available for the fire. The fire essentially jumped my property and lit a field of broom straw about 1/8 mile east and burned everything.

Your trash pump idea is a good idea If you have the water supply but you will be limited with what you can keep wet. Your home roof will be the first priority. The chicken coop and run would have to be soaked. Many times people will release there larger livestock rather than trap them in a barn or corral to give them a chance to escape.

The best thing you can do is get any dry fuel (grass, limbs, etc) away from what you want to save. Eliminate the fuel and you reduce the fire risk. That’s why we have controlled burns in the region to elimínate the undergrowth and brush in order to reduce major fires. Canada and Maui didn’t controlled burns or any other mitigation and the results are what they are.

Here’s what I did a few years ago. Short mowed my 5 acres, took a blade on my tractor and scraped around the perimeter. The fire occurred during a long dry spell. There were high winds forecast. When the fire started, we were already under high fire danger and I had done the prelimary work around my 5 acres. Mowing all but eliminates the fuel that would have been available for the fire. The fire essentially jumped my property and lit a field of broom straw about 1/8 mile east and burned everything.

Your trash pump idea is a good idea If you have the water supply but you will be limited with what you can keep wet. Your home roof will be the first priority. The chicken coop and run would have to be soaked. Many times people will release there larger livestock rather than trap them in a barn or corral to give them a chance to escape.

The best thing you can do is get any dry fuel (grass, limbs, etc) away from what you want to save. Eliminate the fuel and you reduce the fire risk. That’s why we have controlled burns in the region to elimínate the undergrowth and brush in order to reduce major fires. Canada and Maui didn’t controlled burns or any other mitigation and the results are what they are.
This all makes a ton of sense. Thank you very much! I hate mowing the lawn every day but now there is even more motivation to do so!

I know what you mean about mowing. Georgia actually assists landowners with wildfire prevention on their land. Attached Is a link showing a pre-suppression firebreak being cut. The Georgia Forestry Commission actually invented the firebreak implements you will see in the attached link and they sell them to different states to help with wildfire prevention as well as for fighting wildfires. There are some tips in the link that you may be interested in as well. Preparation is the key. Good luck with the fires out there and take care.

https://gatrees.org/fire-prevention-suppression/pre-suppression-firebreaks/

I know what you mean about mowing. Georgia actually assists landowners with wildfire prevention on their land. Attached Is a link showing a pre-suppression firebreak being cut. The Georgia Forestry Commission actually invented the firebreak implements you will see in the attached link and they sell them to different states to help with wildfire prevention as well as for fighting wildfires. There are some tips in the link that you may be interested in as well. Preparation is the key. Good luck with the fires out there and take care.

https://gatrees.org/fire-prevention-suppression/pre-suppression-firebreaks/
Thanks again for the info and the link.
I'm guessing that for a firebreak, like in the link you attached, that there can be no tall trees with overhangs or extended branches lining the sides of the firebreak, as the fire might jump from one tree to a tree on the other side?
Why would the home roof be the first priority to douse with water during a fire?

Any flying embers (and they do fly) landing on the roof can start a fire. Also, runoff from the roof will wet the ground by the house. Yes, fire will jump from one tree to another, especially with wind.

Back
Top Bottom