Ideas for first coop build?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickencoop789, Feb 16, 2014.

1. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    I am building my first ever chicken coop [​IMG] I have always had prefabs so I am very excited to be building one that I can customize myself. The only problem is, I have no idea where to start! I currently have 5 grown hens and will possibly add a few more to my flock. Does anyone have any plans that you are willing to share? Ones that you drew yourself? Found online? Or does anyone have anything that you wished that you had in your coop that I could add in mine [​IMG]? Im not looking for anything big. Just a normal backyard coop.

Thanks in advance!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Personally, I would build a simple 8' x 8' walkin shed type building with a metal roof that slanted all to one side, to make ventilation simple, if I lived where it snows. This gives the birds a decent amount of space for days they choose not to go ut in the snow. A coop even half that size takes almost as much materials, and is much less convenent to move in and care for. But then, I don't like small coops I can't walk into, especially in the north, and I don't like exterior nest boxes. Just my preferences, of course. In my area of the country, I would build a 3 sided shed with attached hardware cloth yard.

3. marctrejo

marctrejo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Harwood, tx
    I myself am building an 8x8 such as flockwatcher suggested. If you wanna easy way i ordered a framing kit from northern tools. It has brackets that all you do is add the 2x4's. You can get the regular shed type or barn type. Barn type is 69.99. The 8x8 shed types 49.99 plus tax so it came out to 62.00. Then let you imagination run wild. I dont know where you live but here in tx we have a habitat for humanity in austin amd you can buy discounted doors, windows , etc. i will be hitting them up for stuff.

4. marctrejo

marctrejo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Harwood, tx
    Oh forgot i am adding a pretty good run attached to the coop.

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
  6. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

If you live where it is very hot,

You should have an, as large as possible hardware cloth aviary type enclosure.

If you live anywhere besides the very hot areas, you should have a Woods style open air coop. Best thing since sliced bread. And nope, I don't have them, didn't learn about them until after I had built stuff.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/445004/woods-style-house-in-the-winter

7. chickencoop789

chickencoop789 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2012
    New Jersey
    How do you prevent snow from getting in the openings?

8. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

It turns out, since in the winter the only openings that are open are just that one big side...... So the wind just hits it and then stops, that air can't go through the coop, so no draft, and no snow comes in. (Well, maybe a little dusting, but not much)

It is ingenious. You have great ventilation but NO draft.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by