Ideas for free range protection from hawks?

Peas4Ducks

Songster
Feb 28, 2021
We have a small flock of four chickens and three ducks who free range in our backyard. November and March are our big red tailed hawk migration months and the only time I really need to worry about hawks, but also the time when most of our bushes have lost all their foliage.

I’m trying to buy or build something like this, but ideally smaller and less expensive. I thought about getting a small tent and cutting the bottom out, but that doesn’t feel quite like the right thing. Does anyone use anything similar or have any hacks?

Thank you!

I live in an area that has lots of aerial predators. I feel your pain.

We simply set up poles with a clothesline in between and hung garden netting, the kind that keep deer and birds away.

We strategically placed the netting so that the birds have good cover when they range with plenty of hiding places.

In time, the birds seem to get pretty savvy about the hawks and know when to run.

I've hung metal cds on trees to sparkle and confuse hawks, but I can't say that improved anything.

Mostly it is having netting set around that helps. We've got lots of trees, so the netting goes between the trees to offer protection. When the hawks go on a "bombing drive," they pull up short when they see the netting and fly by.

Good luck with the hawks. They can definitely be persistent.
LofMc

I live in an area that has lots of aerial predators. I feel your pain.

We simply set up poles with a clothesline in between and hung garden netting, the kind that keep deer and birds away.

We strategically placed the netting so that the birds have good cover when they range with plenty of hiding places.

In time, the birds seem to get pretty savvy about the hawks and know when to run.

I've hung metal cds on trees to sparkle and confuse hawks, but I can't say that improved anything.

Mostly it is having netting set around that helps. We've got lots of trees, so the netting goes between the trees to offer protection. When the hawks go on a "bombing drive," they pull up short when they see the netting and fly by.

Good luck with the hawks. They can definitely be persistent.
LofMc
That sounds like a good idea. What percentage of your flock’s area would you say is covered with netting?

We have a small flock of four chickens and three ducks who free range in our backyard. November and March are our big red tailed hawk migration months and the only time I really need to worry about hawks, but also the time when most of our bushes have lost all their foliage.

I’m trying to buy or build something like this, but ideally smaller and less expensive. I thought about getting a small tent and cutting the bottom out, but that doesn’t feel quite like the right thing. Does anyone use anything similar or have any hacks?

Thank you!
Do your chickens have a coop?

If you don't have any get a rooster they tell the hens to hide when an aerial predator is about and will sit and fight the hawk if it swoops down. Otherwise Ameraucana roosters and hens have a hawkish look to them and can help give the hawk a second look before attacking.

If you don't have any get a rooster they tell the hens to hide when an aerial predator is about and will sit and fight the hawk if it swoops down. Otherwise Ameraucana roosters and hens have a hawkish look to them and can help give the hawk a second look before attacking.
We have a little bantam rooster who sounds the alarm over literally every bird that flies overhead, regardless of size 🙄.

I didn’t know that about Ameraucanas! That’s super interesting.

We have a little bantam rooster who sounds the alarm over literally every bird that flies overhead, regardless of size 🙄.

I didn’t know that about Ameraucanas! That’s super interesting.
If he does that it can cause the boy who cries wolf effect so you might wanna find a new head rooster.

Back
Top Bottom