Ideas for Multiple Runs on a 16 x 12 building. Send me your pics!!!

BREKEN

In the Brooder
May 31, 2016
I am getting several breeds to add to my flock. I have a nice 12 x 16 building we have not really used. I am going to turn it into my chicken coop.

The front has 2 windows and a door in the middle (thats on one of the 16 sides)

I am thinking the back 16ft section I could do four 4ft by ? runs out.
Inside would do 4 x 4 or 4 x 5 or 4 x 6 rooms haven't decided length inside. but will need enough for a couple nest boxes.

I could also do a 4 x ? run on each side and make their door towards the front side to have 6 total runs and still have space for storage, feed, a brooder, whatever.

Any tips or advise? any pics will be helpful. Materials?

thinking of something like the image below.

Last edited:
To me it really depends on how many birds you are planning on having in each section. I would want to know that before I tried to lay it out.

Just a few thoughts...

My preference is always for nest boxes that are accessible without entering the pen, even I that means mounting them on the door.

Four feet wide isn't very wide. Again, it depends on how many birds you're looking each pen to house and how many breeds it needs to be made to hold. Am I right in assuming four, since you are trying to get four pens in?

I would be tempted to totally flip your design on it's head and do four 6x6 pens in the corners., with a 4x12 center aisle for the misc.

I prefer the design flexibility of a more square area to a long skinny area.

To me it really depends on how many birds you are planning on having in each section. I would want to know that before I tried to lay it out.

Just a few thoughts...

My preference is always for nest boxes that are accessible without entering the pen, even I that means mounting them on the door.

Four feet wide isn't very wide. Again, it depends on how many birds you're looking each pen to house and how many breeds it needs to be made to hold. Am I right in assuming four, since you are trying to get four pens in?

I would be tempted to totally flip your design on it's head and do four 6x6 pens in the corners., with a 4x12 center aisle for the misc.

I prefer the design flexibility of a more square area to a long skinny area.

Hm. I never really thought about 6 x 6. That would be very possible as well on each end.

I am going to plan for 4-5 large breed birds in a run, 6-8 smaller breeds. Then around the entire setup and coop having a perimeter fence. That way I have the option for free range during nice weather.

So. We could do 6 x 6 inside, with a 4 x 12 interior. How big should i do the covered outdoor runs?

Hm. I never really thought about 6 x 6. That would be very possible as well on each end.

I am going to plan for 4-5 large breed birds in a run, 6-8 smaller breeds. Then around the entire setup and coop having a perimeter fence. That way I have the option for free range during nice weather.

So. We could do 6 x 6 inside, with a 4 x 12 interior. How big should i do the covered outdoor runs?

Do you plan to cover the entire exterior run?

I like to overdo outside space, and that means a lot of run outside, I would be doing a minimum of 6x18. If you went by the 4/10 guideline, the inside space would work for about 10 birds, and by doing 6x18 outside, you get the same capacity as a minimum outside. But that's a lot to cover fully.

I was wanting to fully cover the individual runs with metal roofing.

Then another fence around the entire setup not showing in my pic, would have netting over it. We are in hawk territory but I like my guys to have some freedom. I have about an acre in total to play with on setting this up.. so PLENTY of room. Hopefully not using the entire space!

I was thinking of similar to this. but of course dont know how the inside is done, andI want top covered. Also my door is in front not side and my building is wider...

If you put the runs off the side rather than the back, and they are 18" long, you could lay three sheets of metal roofing and cover half the run with metal, and net the last nine feet. You could run the roofing on the same pitch as the barn roof.

Personally, I go back and forth with covering the run with metal, primarily because of wind.

Back
Top Bottom