1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ideas for new vacuum, and digital camera

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by mamagardener, Sep 3, 2011.

1. mamagardener

mamagardener Chillin' With My Peeps

I need a new vacuum and a digital camera. My old vacuum is a dirt devil and my camera is a kodak easy share. The vacuum is not powerful, picks up very little. I end up vacuuming over and over to get the job done. The camera is only a year old, and has had problems from the beginning. Now the battery wont charge and I don't want to buy a new battery as I feel it is not worth it.
    I don't have a lot of money to spend, but I also don't want cheap stuff. Any suggestions?

2. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    My wife fussed about her vacuum cleaner for about five years and then went out and bought an expensive Dirt Devil and it is a not very good at all. The old one was better.

Maybe I'll go get her a real good one for our 15th anniversary... or, would it make a better Christmas present? : )

3. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    As far as cameras, I've had a couple of Olympus and liked them both just fine. Since I got a Blackberry I hardly ever use the camera.

4. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    We have a Riccar upright vacuum that is 2 yrs old that replaced a one year old Sears. It vacuums the whole house--half of which is carpeting--a least once a week. I'd recommend going to a good dealer to buy though to be sure to get decent service. We have had this one in for belt replacement once.

As far as a camera we have two Cannon Power Shots that we like--the 8.0 meg, 6X zoom one uses two AA batteries and gets used about every day for some photo. If you use the 8X Energizers they last about a year--keep a spare pair of batteries around and then you don't have to worry about recharging. The other one is a 12.1 Meg Digital Elph (smaller than a pack of cigarettes) that we keep handy in the car and recharge it when we think of it--seems to hold a charge a long time. I'd recommend getting at least a 64K SC card if you have a SD slot in your computer for transferring photos. Both cameras work well downloading to the computer. BTW, both cameras take video but then it is recommended that you have an SC card because one video can take a lot of space.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  5. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

I have an Oreck and really like it, but wish it had tools attached because that would be easier. I wish it edged a little better too, but other than those two things it does a great job. It has bags and I do like that because clean up is SO easy compared to the dirt cup in some of the others. I have a friend who has a dyson and LOVES it better than anything she has ever had . . .both are sort of $$, but my first Oreck lasted over 8 years and I vac a 2000 sq. foot house with it every other day without fail and I always said any tool I brought into this house, or appliance already had a gun to its head because I REALLY use my stuff.

Kodak makes great cameras, but the new phones take amazing pics too, so you might want to experiment with that. Try Amazon.com because I think they have GREAT deals on stuff like this. Easy pay methods too.

6. thekid

thekid Chillin' With My Peeps

For the camera buy a Kodak that cost a little more. Or a Nikon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by