ideas for starting a backyard hatchery

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by chicks_08, Mar 15, 2008.

1. chicks_08

chicks_08 New Egg

Mar 15, 2008
    DOes anyone have any idea's on starting a new backyard hatchery? I have started raising chicks, instead of just older chickens. Or know any good web sites, that could give me some idea's? Thanks so much.

chicks_08:)

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    You are going to need your NPIP cert to ship out of state I believe. Regulations will vary State to State for many things. It may be easier for someone to direct you if they knew what state you are in. County extension office should have information available on requirements for facilities. Then zoning may be an issue depending where you are located.

3. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    whats a npip cert and how do you get it?

4. Professional

Professional Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    No offense meant, but if you don't know that, you're far from being able to start a hatchery. Remember, if it were that simple or that lucrative, everyone would be doing it. Get some experience with raising birds for at least a few years before you think about this.

5. billson1

billson1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    lecenter minnesota
    in Minnesota you need a hatchery permit to sell any poultry under 5 months of age it doesnt matter if you sell in or out of state
    you will need some good breeder stock not just ones picked from chicks, you will need to decide how many and what breed you want to sell ,do you have the room,money for all the feed and it keeps going up,time it takes alot of time,and preditors can kill alot of birds in a day so you need a really good building

6. ninny

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    i have got all the basics (plaining, breeds pens etc.) ready to go. im been trying to get a hold of the county where i live to get info on licenses and all the other paperwork but nobodys called back yet.[​IMG] so i didnt know about the npip cert but nobodys told me what it is yet. we're starting slow with the best stock we can afford right now then building up one flock at a time till we can close them.

7. ninny

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    i live in IL if anybody knows some rules for me state or someone better to call then my county clerk.

8. ninny

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    thank you

9. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    Quote:So anyone that hatches chickens in their home and ends up selling the chicks needs a hatchery permit?? I don't live in Minnesota but if that's the case in most other states many of us on this forum are in trouble! Maybe there is a definition for a "hatchery"

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by