Ideas for using sand in the brooder (w/ pics)

Thank you Archae
big_smile.png

I use plain old play sand and i got mine from walmart. It can be a bit dusty if it gets very dry under the light so i do try and spritz it after i sift it.

I didn't know to cover the sand w/paper towels for the first few days and my chicks seem to be pecking the sand more than the feeder, though this may be perception & not reality. I'm gonna' go out and clean it and cover the sand (today is only day 2) and start over, but is eating sand going to hurt them? I wouldn't think so as wouldn't it work like grit?

this is such a fantastic idea! Why haven't i ever thought of such a grand idea, We just went ahead and did white shavings like everyone said too. this would help cut down on the size of my GIGANTIC compost pile.

I did the same thing when we had our first batch of chicks to years ago. Worked great and I highly recommend it.

I got tubes of sand from Walmart then some sterile potting soil (no perlite) to mix in. I found the potting soil added some organic matter and helped to keep the dust down and not so hot on the tootsies with the heat lamp on.

This is a great idea. I'm getting my first bunch of chicks in two weeks. So play sand it is. May I ask what kind of brooder light you are using? I'm curious since you mentioned the sand gets really hot.

do you suppose this will work as well with our ducklings, i don't know about your chicks but i do know about ducklings, lots of water, and lots of poo. right now there are only 5 and they're in a 2' x 4' brooder box and it's almost impossible to keep up with it. still cold nights here in colorado so they are in the laundry room.

Back
Top Bottom