Ideas for where to get petition signatures.

FlyingtheCoop

In the Brooder
9 Years
Aug 25, 2010
We are, of course trying to change the hen ordinance and I need signatures, lots of them. I called local feed stores, they were willing to post a petition, but I wasn't allowed to set up a little table or anything. Any new or creative ideas?

A lady in Long Beach started a petition for Long Beach to relax the codes in regards to goats and chickens. She got a lot of signatures by posting online on a variety of websites including chicken ones like BYC, Meet Up, the local community gardens, and craigslist in the farm and garden area. She has spent a year or so working on it, and slowly making her way through city channels. She used an online petition system.

Here is a link to her site so you can see what she did.
http://www.longbeachgrows.org/LongBeachGrows/Long_Beach_Grows.html

Last edited:
A friend when to yardsales on Saturdays, it took a looong time but people are more approachable. Is it required that you obtain signatures?

Where are you located? Find others from the area on here and ask for their support; do you have a local farmer's market? Any green events in the area, maybe an earth day celebration in April - not sure when you need this by; start a facebook page.

Can you post the petition wording here to help others who may be in a similar situation?

I agree that facebook is a wonderful place to place a link to sign the petition, also if you have a food co-op near by I am sure they would allow you to have something . . . our local food co-op is showing a video of "Mad-City Chickens" a small documentary on the Madison, WI backyard chickens, and is offering classes and fun family activities to get the word out for an up and coming vote on backyard chickens in LaCrosse, WI. Very cool!

Back
Top Bottom