Ideas needed to stop smoke from affecting me

bt03

Songster
8 Years
Mar 1, 2011
Over the rainbow...
I have a job that requires me to be in and out of cars almost daily and dealing with people that often smell like they chain smoke. The heat here is adding to the problem it seems this summer. People get in their car then smoke 4-5 ciggaretts in a row, get out, then all of the smoke festers in the sun for hours at a time. Then I have to get in the car and am almost dying by the time I can get out 10-15 minutes later. I open the windows and have the A/C on full blast to circulate the air but to no avail. By the time I am done I am gagging, coughing, have an almost migrane (full blown if it's really smelly) and am contemplating ways to cut my own lungs out of my body. Often times the smell is also carried into my tiny office and it lingers long after they leave. Quitting my job is not an option, I really wish it was but we can't afford for me to, and there is no kind of policy that can help me not be put into a situation that will prevent me from having to endure this. I don't mind smokers, your body is your thing and this is not a debate about smoking, quitting or what it is doing to the smoker or the people that have to inhale it second hand. I am simply looking to see if anyone has any suggestions as to what I can do to make it not affect me as horridly as it does.

How about a face mask. Not like a gas mask but like a really good dust mask that filters out very small particles. I know there are different levels of filtration. The coroners and such HAVE to have something to keep the smell out of thier nose
hu.gif

Quote:
That is a great idea! I had looked at masks before but none of them seemed very thick and I wondered if they really could help but I never thought about one like a coroners. I will have to check with my boss and see if I could wear one or if it would be considered "offensive" to the customer if I wear one and not be allowed to. I wish there was a facepalm smiley now because I didn't think of that one... Thanks bock!!

I can't stand to wear face masks...too sweaty ecspecially when your working hard. My father-in -law has a problem with his van and mice (it rarely gets driven) and boy does it stink! My husband and I swear if we ever dare ride in it again we with both get some Vicks Vapor rub and apply it liberaly under our noses:)

Quote:
X2. I agree that a really good quality dust mask may help. Also, bring a change of clothes so when you leave the smokers' cars or homes, the residual does not stay in your clothing and make you cough or irritate your lungs later in the day.

I think many of us have smokers in our lives (family, friends, relatives, co-workers, clients, etc.), and all we can do is try to find measures so that the residual smoke isn't affecting us, as you are doing. It certainly is not an indictment on the smokers, just a fact of life that some of us are extra sensitive to the effects of residual smoke.

I smoked for about 20 years and had my last cigarette March 3, 1998, so I have a lot of compassion for smokers. Quitting is SO not easy.

The Vicks rub under the nose does work if you wanna mask smells. I used to work for the county removing roadkill off the roads. Kept a jar in the truck for anything that was older than 2 days old.

Just a suggestion to lay off the A/C when you jump in the car. When I was in high school I used to work at a full service car wash and would be in and out of the cars while vacuuming. Constantly going from the heat to the A/C always gave me a headache.

Coroners/pathologists also use the Vicks or cinnamon oil or similar or for the smell. The mask alone does not eliminate it. I have used Carmex lip balm for smelly jobs.

Using a medical grade N95 or N99 respirator would work better than a dust mask on filtering out particles. But still does not do much for the smell.

I have severe asthma. Some of the things that are most common for triggering attacks are dust and other particulates (these include cigarette smoke), ozone, and rapid changes in temperature and humidity. A good dust mask can help with all of these, but removing yourself from a situation where you are completely surrounded by triggers is your best choice.

Back
Top Bottom