Ideas On A Bantam Flock?

Good afternoon everyone! Sometime (not exactly soon, but in a couple of years or so) I want to have an all bantam flock. Overall I want docile birds with a variety of colors. What breeds do you all suggest?

Here are my favorites:

Silkie: White, Buff, Splash, Black, etc.
Cochin: Splash and/or Mottled, and Frizzled.
d'Uccle: Mille Fleur, Self blue
White Crested Black Polish
Black Tailed Buff Japanese
Sebright: Gold and Silver
Easter Egger
Barred Rock
Old English Game: Wheaten, Spangled, and Red Pyle (maybe Self Blue?)
Brahma: Buff
Columbian Rock
Serama

Do you all think that these birds would get along? Also, where can I find a Serama breeder? I have no idea where to look for them :p

What do you think of these breeds? Thanks in advance! :)
Sebrights aren't at all docile, and OEGB usually aren't, either. Polish, Easter eggers, and D'Uccles can be really variable in this regard, too. The most docile will be the Cochins, Silkies and Brahmas. But how you raise them is really key. Lots of people time and a reasonable amount of handling can make all the difference.

Wonderful possibilities! :thumbsup

I've kept all except the Polish, Barred Rock, and Serama. :) They get along beautifully. Pretty sure you won't be disappointed.

Favorites of the group: d'Uccle, Easter Egger, and Old English Game bantam. :love I will never be without these sweethearts.

"Middling:" Sebright, Cochin, Silkie, Columbian Rock, and Brahma.

Disliked: Japanese bantam. Very flighty. :hmm

Ameraucanas and Wyandottes can also be quite personable. :)

~Alex

I hope I won't, I've been looking and I can't believe how cute they all are!

I have kept d'uccles, Easter Eggers, and OEGB's. So far OEGB's are my favorite.

Silkies are also one of my favorites, they are so cuddly! Do you enjoy Cochins? Or are they just overrated? I would really like to try Columbian Rock bantams, they're so pretty!

I haven't actually read up on Japanese bantams, I might skip out on them if they're not docile.

I've considered Wyandottes, but I haven't really given them much thought.

This little OEGB is 3yrs old and I have 4 of her daughters out of all 5 only mama has gone broody. This is this years pullet. Top pic is Little Joe and Natalie I really need to get more pics. I have only 7OEGB 5 hens 2 Roos
2FDAE88A-9129-4549-90F8-A03A217F4BBA.jpeg
B70D032D-0637-42E3-9779-1863A2AA4B11.jpeg

Silkies all the way. Super docile. My roo is SUPER nice.

I have a soft spot for Silkies as well :p

I’ve always wanted Silkies how do they do in a mixed flock?

They do great! If you have only raised standard breeds, and decide to add a few Silkies after the flock is already established, then they probably will be picked on. I raised my Silkies with my other breeds, and they all get along terrifically :)

I would leave out the Silkies and Polish. They get bullied for their crests.

My D'Uccles don't fight back, be forewarned that they get driven off food. My banty Cochin cockerel was a monster.

As I said to @Miss Lydia, if you raise your Polish or Silkies with your other "normal" looking breeds, then they probably won't be picked on or singled out. I never had a problem with my crested breeds :)

D'uccles are the best. Seramas are often nice too. You should also check out Dutch, D'anvers, Nankins, and Pyncheons. They are some of my other favorite bantams. I mostly only had true bantams. Cochin bantams are nice too and EE bantams are Ok (the ones I had from Privett)... I will be expanding to try some other "LF" bantams this year though, Dominques, RIR bantams, Cornish, Sultan, Sumatra, Phoenix and Cubalaya. Also interested in trying Buff Orp and Wyandotte bantams. People always talk about how nice the LF of those breeds are but I've never been impressed with personalities... maybe it's different from hatchery to hatchery and breeder to breeder. But I wonder if I'd like the bantam versions better.

I do love my d'uccles. I love how quite and docile they are :) I should look at Dutch bantams, I read up on them a few years ago but never added any.

I love my Buff Orps, they are one of my favorites! They're docility amazes me! :love

Sebrights aren't at all docile, and OEGB usually aren't, either. Polish, Easter eggers, and D'Uccles can be really variable in this regard, too. The most docile will be the Cochins, Silkies and Brahmas. But how you raise them is really key. Lots of people time and a reasonable amount of handling can make all the difference.

If they aren't docile, their beauty will make up for it ;) I spend a lot of time with my chickens, even my White Leghorns are lapdogs. I just hope I can make lapdogs out of some of these breeds :p

Back
Top Bottom