Ideas on how to correct splayed leg in a call duckling?

AliciaM

Songster
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Yelm Washington
I hatched a call duckling today.. Well, actualy started a couple days ago, but finaly finished hatching today.. It was a long, touch and go ordeal.. im suprised he made it..
But anyway.. his legs are splayed.. he scootches around on his belly..and gets into a corner and puts his feet under him...

Im gonna give him a day or so to see what happens, but what shouuld I do if it doesnt correct itself? Ive taped ones legs together before but it kept falling over on its face.. should I tape again or maybe tape, then put him in a cup he cant get out of?

Any ideas greatly appreciated..

It may just still be weak from hatching. Especially if it was a difficult hatch- I know some of my ducklings are a little weaker than others when they hatch and can take longer to find their feet.

Taping the legs like this can help. The quicker you tape the legs the quicker it takes to fix it.

46956_splinted_legs.jpg

I propped this gosling up in a tissue box with a bit cut out of the centre. I had its food and water within reach- but it needed lots of supervision to stop it trying to get out of the box. Being that a call duck will have so much smaller legs- it will be a little difficult to strap the legs together-but even holding him as much as you can with his legs tucked up can help.

Thanks for the replies and ideas.... He/she is doing much better today... Duckyfromoz was right.. he was just realy weak from hatching...hes running around like a little demon now...

Now to work on Pics....

Back
Top Bottom