Ideas on how to get profit excess eggs?

Chik_8

Chirping
Jan 1, 2022
I have a lot a chickens currently and that’s because most of their feed WAS paid for for the most part by selling eggs. I did not mind having a lot of birds even though the housing was expensive I found with the demand on my eggs they were pretty self sufficient even though not all necessities were paid for their feed was covered. It’s hard giving proper care and making profits that’s why store eggs are most likely from mistreated chickens. Things changed and now I am paying hundreds for feed and I have a fridge packed full of eggs that I can never get around to eating. This goes against why I invest so much time and money on my birds because I wanted to make a small impact on people paying stores to mistreat chickens. I make no extra profit but that is the point to produce eggs for people buying eggs from sick factory’s and providing my birds proper care. Im not made of money and I don’t know how to sell eggs because people lost interest. Not to mention I am now spending thousands on large secure Amish built coops for winter. I wish I thought at the time buying chicks that what if I stopped getting lucky with the damand on my eggs. People always say when I sell lots of eggs that “oh your gonna make lots of money” and I’m like yeah for a week of feed… Anyways does anyone know how I can advertise my eggs and get them sold? I tried online and that worked well for a little but they were not consistent. I was thinking to work with the Amish or public farms where people go for farm fresh food but that comes with legal stuff. I could also go old school and put up a sign but I have neighbors selling eggs for dirt cheep. Does anyone have experience? Some people I see online get away with selling $8 dollars a carton no problem. Even people like me I’ve met are having a hard time. I will have to cut my chicken numbers down because if it’s one thing I’ve learned things will be good and happy going one minute and problems the next which makes me sad because my plans failed. Are my eggs not good enough? Too expensive? Or maybe I’m not advertising enough.

The questions above are good ones.
Can you find a good quality feed for less?
It sounds like all your hens are young and producing well. You could reduce the flock by selling some layers until your customer base meets demand.
I recommend making sure your eggs are avaliable easily. Can customers get eggs anytime?
How about advertising?
Putting up fliers at local stores and shops, online platforms adds. Like Nextdoor. People need to know where you are, and that you are consistant.
Lower you price if necessary.
My problem is not enough eggs right now as most of my girls are molting.
In spring I have more than I can sell, and that's when I donate to my local food pantrys.
My chickens are hobby and pets, not so much for profit. I think it's a very hard thing to make chickens be profitable. Lots of work too if you have a large flock.
Good luck!

I was at Tractor Supply yesterday and noted 2 things. Ours has a bulletin board for farm-related advertisements. Also, a woman was stocking up on layer feed. She stood around chatting up the cashier after her purchase was complete and kept mentioning her eggs. She would ask other customers in the line if they had chickens and then ask if they wanted farm-fresh eggs "laid just this morning". She had a cooler of eggs in the back of her SUV. It worked because a small family in line ahead of me went out with her and bought a dozen eggs.

Where are you, and how much are you charging for eggs?
Where are you buying feed, and what kind (brand)? How much do you pay?
I’m in Pennsylvania and I currently charge $5 dollars per regular dozen egg carton. I buy the Natures Best organic layer feed and organic chick feed for my younger birds from Tractor Supply. I pay 27.99 for the layer and 31.99 for the chick feed I am open to trying new feeds and stores if anyone has suggestions. I also purchase currently 3 bags of the layer and 1 of the chick for my about 70 birds per week. I free range (not as much as I used to because of predator attacks) and I give them healthy clean food scraps occasionally and collards. I used to have to buy them but now the local Amish Market has no issue supplying them to me for free which is great. I feel with the chickens diet the eggs are a good price but I could be wrong.

Last edited:
The questions above are good ones.
Can you find a good quality feed for less?
It sounds like all your hens are young and producing well. You could reduce the flock by selling some layers until your customer base meets demand.
I recommend making sure your eggs are avaliable easily. Can customers get eggs anytime?
How about advertising?
Putting up fliers at local stores and shops, online platforms adds. Like Nextdoor. People need to know where you are, and that you are consistant.
Lower you price if necessary.
My problem is not enough eggs right now as most of my girls are molting.
In spring I have more than I can sell, and that's when I donate to my local food pantrys.
My chickens are hobby and pets, not so much for profit. I think it's a very hard thing to make chickens be profitable. Lots of work too if you have a large flock.
Good luck!
My chickens are very much a hobby and pets as well I have no intent on making extra profit just enough to sustain the weekly feed for the large amount I have. Thank you for your advice!!!

Some people I see online get away with selling $8 dollars a carton no problem. Even people like me I’ve met are having a hard time. I will have to cut my chicken numbers down because if it’s one thing I’ve learned things will be good and happy going one minute and problems the next which makes me sad because my plans failed. Are my eggs not good enough? Too expensive? Or maybe I’m not advertising enough.
you’re dealing with simple supply and demand here.

if you’re in an area with a lot of people selling backyard eggs for cheap, you’re not gonna sell any unless you price accordingly.

alternatively, if no one around you sells eggs, you can set the price wherever you want.

if your plan is only to break even, then there’s really no need to have 70 chickens. life will be a lot easier with 20

At today's feed prices and store-bought egg prices it is impossible to make eggs cheaper than you can buy them at he market. Selling eggs also comes with some liabilities because a slght mis-step can make a customer sick. The only advantage backyrd eggs have is that they are produced in a more humane environment. Not many potential customers will appreciate that fact.

you’re dealing with simple supply and demand here.

if you’re in an area with a lot of people selling backyard eggs for cheap, you’re not gonna sell any unless you price accordingly.

alternatively, if no one around you sells eggs, you can set the price wherever you want.

if your plan is only to break even, then there’s really no need to have 70 chickens. life will be a lot easier with 20
Yes very true, I make most of my money not in my area but in NJ. Places where most eggs are only sold at the store. I do like having lots of chickens and I do have the space and time but my large quantities of eggs have to be going somewhere.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom