Ideas on how to make this thing a functioning coop

DH came home with this (for free, thank goodness!) but it's in bad shape. The walls are ok but we'll have to build a new floor and Ineed to add roosting bars and nesting boxes. It is conveniently right next to the fire pit 😆
OH MY GOD IS THAT A NOOSE HANGING INSIDE THE STRUCTURE!

Just kidding! I would have a great time taking that apart and re-plaining the wood and rebuilding it.

Good luck and enjoy the project! Old Wood Is Good Wood!

Just saying... Poop shelves are optional, not required.
Do you prefer to scoop/scrape a shelf, or shovel the floor? Think before you build.
(I prefer to shovel the floor on rare occasions, and pile things deep in the time between.)

Maybe run roosts across the short way?

DH came home with this (for free, thank goodness!) but it's in bad shape. The walls are ok but we'll have to build a new floor and Ineed to add roosting bars and nesting boxes. It is conveniently right next to the fire pit 😆
92E95B66-0600-4EB9-AA75-2A8C409115FA.jpeg

give it a nice paint job like this!

If I put them under the poop shelf then getting the eggs is going to be super difficult. I'm thinking the other side under the windows.
It doesn't need to be... but it depends of course on if it hurts for you to bend... not everyone can bend...

For a non bending option, you could have an access hatch on the outside of the coop to gather eggs that are in nest boxes under the poop shelf.

I just am a huge proponent of stacking coop stuff to make more space, also why I love the poop shelves... it makes an extra level in the coop.

But maybe there are other clever ways to stack,and gather eggs without bending...

maybe a nest box that swings out...

or one of those community nest boxes where the eggs all roll to the front...

But maybe there are other clever ways to stack,and gather eggs without bending...

Put the roosts higher than where the nestboxes currently are, but be sure there's enough space for the hens to jump down without hitting their faces on a wall. Running the roosts the short direction of the house could work for that. (And if they're removable, it makes cleanout time much easier--you don't have to bend under them while working.)

It doesn't need to be... but it depends of course on if it hurts for you to bend... not everyone can bend...

For a non bending option, you could have an access hatch on the outside of the coop to gather eggs that are in nest boxes under the poop shelf.

I just am a huge proponent of stacking coop stuff to make more space, also why I love the poop shelves... it makes an extra level in the coop.

maybe a nest box that swings out...

or one of those community nest boxes where the eggs all roll to the front...
I can bend it's just like I'd be crawling under the shelf, hitting my head on it, just seems awkward. I like the idea of having access outside but I don't want to cut into the wood any more than necessary. Should I put linoleum down on the wood floor?

Back
Top Bottom