Ideas on how to make this thing a functioning coop

I wouldn't, you need ventilation, even in winter.

With all of the ventilation on only the one side, there "shouldn't" be a breeze at perch level.

If you get a horrid cold snap (so, -20 C or F for a week or more), or come winter you find a strong draft at perch level, you could tack up a little cardboard.
Ah ok. My current coops have little doors that slide over the hardware cloth so I thought I should do something like that.

Beautiful little building. Just needs some TLC. It's interesting to look at the construction and think about the hands that built it, and why, and how many uses it may have been through. Love the saltbox roof! Have fun with it!

Beautiful little building. Just needs some TLC. It's interesting to look at the construction and think about the hands that built it, and why, and how many uses it may have been through. Love the saltbox roof! Have fun with it!
It looks like it housed chickens at one point since it has a small door opening and a wood piece that fits in side slats to go up and down. The owner wasn't there when he picked it up but I would've definitely asked a lot of questions if she was!

About how big is it? Some of those boards on the back gable end look incredibly wide, might have been home milled, definitely local wood to the original builder. And while I was looking at that I notice the circular saw mill marks on those same boards. Super cool! Sorry, can't help but nerd out when I see an old building. I'm a bit of an old barn enthusiast.

About how big is it? Some of those boards on the back gable end look incredibly wide, might have been home milled, definitely local wood to the original builder. And while I was looking at that I notice the circular saw mill marks on those same boards. Super cool! Sorry, can't help but nerd out when I see an old building. I'm a bit of an old barn enthusiast.
You'd love my house then! Built in 1820s has hand hewn beams all over the place.

I think it's about 8x4 ish. Definitely see the circular saw marks now.

You'd love my house then! Built in 1820s has hand hewn beams all over the place.

I think it's about 8x4 ish. Definitely see the circular saw marks now.

I probably would! My house and barn are around the same age. I would check the nails in it. If they are square head or if the heads are round but irregular shapes, then you might have a really old building, but I have a feeling it's newer than that, definitely very cool either way. I hope you can find someway to get it in shape and get some eggs out of it!

:gig

Looking closer at the pics....bones look OK.
Rot at bottom of siding and especially edge of roof, not so good.
First thing, rip off shingles and assess?
I think I can just take those outer shingles off and replace them and the outer edge of wood. Not sure what he has planned for the bottom. It's really heavy so we can't move it. We borrowed a lift to bring it here!

Back
Top Bottom