Ideas on keeping predators out?

mtgrl

Chirping
5 Years
May 12, 2014
Montana
We have lots of predators here, and when my parents raised chickens, it was one of the main reasons they gave it up. They couldn't keep the predators out of the fenced in area. We get raccoons, skunks, weasels, bobcats, coyotes, wolves, foxes, bears, mountain lions, hawks, owls, and eagles frequently, also my neighbors have lots of dogs. I am planning on raising quail in the backyard, and since they are such small birds, I want to make sure they are as secure as possible. Anybody have some good ideas for a design that would predator-proof my backyard?

Bears are a big concern because they show up annually at fall to eat apples off our trees, they have caused lots of trouble in the past, and with their strength, there is little that can keep them out.

We also have a big raccoon and two skunks that come every night to eat from my cat's food. Other predators are all very common around here, since we live in the prairie next to the mountains and encounter them often.

The area I would be keeping the quail in would be a garden area in the backyard, half of it would be open field with tall grass (prime gamebird habitat) and in the other half I would plant corn and sunflower for cover. I plan to fence in the entire area like a giant cage, with wire on the ground, about 8 feet high around, and a wire top to keep the quail in and eagles out. I was going to put hardware cloth around the lower half of the fence (about two feet high) and use chicken wire for the rest. Would that be sufficient, or should I just use hardware cloth all the way up? How about for the roof and ground? The problem is the expense.

I would also have to fence in a passage to the coop, which is outside of the fenced area, and secure the wood coop from predators.

Outside of the immediate garden area where I would keep the quails is a larger fenced in area. I thought I might put wire around this area too, so that if a predator were to get in, they would have to get through 2 barriers instead of just one to get to the quail. In this fenced in area, I thought I would have some bigger kinds of birds that could chase away some of the smaller predators, like maybe peacocks or guineas-anybody know of a good bird for that? Also, that way, the predator might just take those birds and spare the quail.

So I just was wondering if anybody has some suggestions for added security. Maybe barbwire, etc... what's the best thing to use, and what would be a good layout?

Last edited:
I think about the only thing that would help with all the various sizes you are dealing with would be an electric fence. You could run it around outside the fenced in area. Then you birds wont get zapped, but the predators would.
I just watched a special about one fence that is solar powered and easy to install and even move around as needed. But I really think that may be your only safe option, especially since you have bears as a possible issue.

Buy an electric fence charger with enough Joules to fence off Texas. Put up a good high-tinsel electric fence with alternating strands of ground and hot wires. A barbed wire electric fence may even work better on a bear because the barbs can penetrate all that thick fur and make contact with bear or is it bare skin. If you live in an arid environment use a ground rod 12-15 feet long so you are always sure of a good ground. To properly break in your electric fence add some strips of bacon to the hot wire or wires. Be sure to soak or marinate the bacon strips in as strong a salt solution as you can concoct. 3 days to a week should work. Wrap the bacon strips at intervals along the hot wire or wires. Because salt is a good conductor of electricity any bear that tries to eat or lick the bacon strips off the fence hot wire with his wet nose, mouth, or tongue is in for a shock. It won't kill or even injure the bear, he or she will only think that they have been killed. Good luck.

I don't really want to install an electric fence, besides the expense and work of installing one, there's the cost of running it, and also the danger it could present to pets or the potential accident it could cause. I was thinking something more like a trip wire alarm that would alert me to anything trying to get in, and a good sturdy fence.

Last edited:
Invest in a good semi auto .22 and thin out those predators out! Only good predator is a dead one! I use live traps around pens and they do the trick. Usually they go to trap before even tryin to get in pen

My barn cat eats meals; never is cat food left out for wildlife! Electric fencing is the least expensive option for you! A good charger and some tape or wire will work great. Chicken wire won't keep predators out, so a safe coop and electric around the perimeter, or even electrified chicken fencing, seems good to me. Mary

There are plenty of very inexpensive electric fence that run off a teeny tiny solar panel and have a battery back up for night. My neighbors use one. Electric fence barely sips power yet still puts off quite a strong shock. I worked on a farm and got zapped regularly from the electric sheep fence.

I don't really want to install an electric fence, besides the expense and work of installing one, there's the cost of running it, and also the danger it could present to pets or the potential accident it could cause. I was thinking something more like a trip wire alarm that would alert me to anything trying to get in, and a good sturdy fence.

Last edited:
My son and I were just talking about this today, bears and chicken coops. Both of us figured the only thing with the least expense would be an electric fence. I've seen the stuff bears tear into if they really want to (family used to own a cabin in MN). We don't have bears around here in IN but we do have almost all the others you listed minus the wolves. Here I use welded wire fence, 2"x4" buried 18" down then 12-18" out away from the fence in a L shape so if they do try to dig down they hit fence. So far they just scratch around a little and leave it alone.

A friend of mine did his fence the same but didn't bury his. The bottom of his fence is a 2x4 that the fence attaches to and they just dug under it. To fix his some was easy to dig and some was very hard due to roots, rock, etc. The easy side we buried fencing like mine and on the hard to dig side we just drove 1/4" rod and rebar every 3-4" about 2' down alongside the fence. Some of the rebar we U nailed to the 2x4.

If I feel that there's a predator outside I'll bring my girls inside and let them sleep in a large dog cage in my room. If they want, I leave the door open and let them sleep on my bed with me, where they feel safe. This works if it is rainy, cold, and windy outside too. Plus mine start squawking loudly if they're not feeling safe.

If I feel that there's a predator outside I'll bring my girls inside and let them sleep in a large dog cage in my room. If they want, I leave the door open and let them sleep on my bed with me, where they feel safe. This works if it is rainy, cold, and windy outside too. Plus mine start squawking loudly if they're not feeling safe. 

I hope you don't get lice or mites in your bed! LOL

Back
Top Bottom