Ideas on keeping run fresh and clean

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by s6bee, May 6, 2008.

1. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    We are quickly approaching our first full summer with our chickens. I don't free range so the "stink" of the outside run can and I'm sure will be a problem eventually. What is the best material to keep on the floor of it, and what do you recommend in how/when to clean it, or not at all? I don't want the neighbors to complain. [​IMG] I was thinking of putting sand down.

Last edited: May 6, 2008
  2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    I've noticed "stink" and moisture go hand and hand. Sand doesn't hold moisture and would help the chicken poop dry out faster, hence cutting down on the stink. So probably a pretty good idea based on my limited chicken experiences.

3. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I had a above ground swimming pool removed last summer and of course under the pool was lots of sand. My pens were a muddy mess as they are on the side of a hill with alot of water run off when it rains. It worked beautifully but I have noticed that I need to add more. Water really pools in there and I think the sand needs to be much deeper, but it does work!

4. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Some things that are deodorizers and safe for chickens

DE (diatomaceous earth), also good for dessicating lice/ticks other crawling pests
    Stable Boy stall deodorizer
    Stall Dri

I'm sure there are more!
    [​IMG]

Our run is roofed so it won't get excessivly wet , except when we have a rain storm or heavy snow.

[​IMG]

5. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Sandy soil is best because it dries out quick. But it can be expensive to try to make the whole run out of sand.

To get rid of dried up poo, I use a small rake about once a week.

6. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    Sweet PDZ - a stall deodorizer

Sand

That is what I will be using....the Sweet PDZ

7. country freedom

country freedom Chillin' With My Peeps

I already know this suggestion will not work for quite a few "Peeps" on here, but, if "oldies", "tweenies", and "newbies", (ones who've had chickens longest thru the ones just starting out with chickens), are able to build their henhouses with two or more runs built so their sweeties can be moved around weekly, there would be better conditions for the "Peeps and peeps alike".

8. s6bee

s6bee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Western, NY
    Good idea. I just picked up 6 more chicks today and though I won't keep them all but give some to friends, even one more will add to the already tight spaces. So we have to rebuild. Gosh I hate doing it but I guess lesson learned. So the 2 run idea is pretty cool.
    I can't pull out any dried poo as they usually have trampled on it soon after they drop it. Oh well. Good thought.

I will shop for sand now, plus I think they will prefer it for sun bathing/dusting

9. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    How do you clean out the cops and cages without using a hose ?

PLEASE
    e-mail me at [email protected]

ESPECIALLY those that have 2 levels ?

10. pattycake

pattycake Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2007
    fingerlakes, ny
    I have wood chips in my run. I do occasional poop scoops out there, and once in the early spring when everything was thawing and it got too wet, I threw in a bale of straw. But weirdly, the poop seems to mostly disappear. I think it gets trampled into the dirt and then the chickens scratch the woodchips over it. But it doesn't smell much. Once in a while you get a whiff of chicken, but that's natural.

Last year my chickens were still babies, so I'm curious to see if smell becomes more of an issue this summer. Or flies -- I haven't had any fly troubles yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by