Ideas on moving 5 week old chicks in the coop

ScenicViews

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 17, 2015
King, NC
I have 3 CQ’s that I got about 4 weeks ago, pullets just reaching laying stage (1 lays). I have 6 chicks that are 5 weeks old. Can I move them into the coop with the 3 older ones? I am hearing 2 weeks of getting used to each other. I don’t really have a way to keep them separate. Ideas?

I have 3 CQ’s that I got about 4 weeks ago, pullets just reaching laying stage (1 lays). I have 6 chicks that are 5 weeks old. Can I move them into the coop with the 3 older ones? I am hearing 2 weeks of getting used to each other. I don’t really have a way to keep them separate. Ideas?
Im using a dog crate in the run area so they are close yet can’t get to each other yet

A dog crate and a saftey zone. A temporary fence for a couple of days, then lift the fence off the ground a few inches as a saftey zone whereas a chick can escape back into, feed them in that.

If you are very tight on room, you need to be extra careful as tighter areas can cause more violent behavior.

If you can't add another fence, I have also turned out into the yard or free range the hens, locking them out of the set up. Then lock the chicks inside the coop/run. Feed along the fence. This lets the chicks explore the coop without being chased for their lives. Now you can put the chicks in the dog crate or box for the night, where ever you have them now, for a few days, wash and repeat, and then let the hens into the chicks in the run very close to dark, make sure the chicks have a lower roost, aways from the hens in the coop.

Add a bunch of clutter, hideouts, escape routes, platforms, roosts inside the run and mulitple feed stations are other tricks that help.

Show us your coop and run, inside and out, and maybe someone can offer a suggestion/solution.

A dog crate and a saftey zone. A temporary fence for a couple of days, then lift the fence off the ground a few inches as a saftey zone whereas a chick can escape back into, feed them in that.

If you are very tight on room, you need to be extra careful as tighter areas can cause more violent behavior.

If you can't add another fence, I have also turned out into the yard or free range the hens, locking them out of the set up. Then lock the chicks inside the coop/run. Feed along the fence. This lets the chicks explore the coop without being chased for their lives. Now you can put the chicks in the dog crate or box for the night, where ever you have them now, for a few days, wash and repeat, and then let the hens into the chicks in the run very close to dark, make sure the chicks have a lower roost, aways from the hens in the coop.

Add a bunch of clutter, hideouts, escape routes, platforms, roosts inside the run and mulitple feed stations are other tricks that help.
Thank you!

Let nature take it's course, throw the little boogers in there and let them sort it out. I wouldn't worry about it too much, usually after a few pecks everyone knows their place.

Welp I did it, I moved them to the coop. Did not go well, so I took part of the run and housed them separate. Old Rubbermaid tub for house and they can look at the older sisters without getting pecked!

Back
Top Bottom