Ideas on Rooster Sr and Jr skirmishes

Since I have to disperse one way or another any unwanted roo before serious crowing, I have to kill layer types before they are table ready, generally 7 weeks or so. (Meat birds can be ready before crowing, but I work with more heritage designer types).
Ah, can't have any crowing....I usually slaughter layer breed cockerels 12-14 weeks, crowing but before they gt too randy.
Have used CO2 on week old male chicks for raptor rescue feed.

Last edited:
CO2?
Do you mean a Zip Lock bag where they just quickly go to sleep from lack of O2? I've heard of it but never tried it. I quess it would be like those people on that plane when the O2 quit and everyone went to sleep before the plane ever crashed, no one felt nothing.
:th

CO2?
Do you mean a Zip Lock bag where they just quickly go to sleep from lack of O2? I've heard of it but never tried it. I quess it would be like those people on that plane when the O2 quit and everyone went to sleep before the plane ever crashed, no one felt nothing.
:th

No it is actually using a dry ice cloud, based on CO2 deployment that high tech companies use to squelch fires. My husband works in one of those buildings, and when those gas jets release you get out or get dead. Your first gulp renders unconsciousness. You then asphyxiate within a minute.

With the dry ice method, you take a bucket, put dry ice in the bottom, pour hot water, wait for cloud to form placing lid on loosely (otherwise it will blow off). Once you have a nice cloud, lower bird into it. Putting some styrofoam on the bottom keeps the bird off the dry ice as a nicety. Close the lid. The bird takes a gulp, becomes unconscious, then dies fluttering from physical aftermath while asleep. It's over in about 20 to 30 seconds when done right.

The Amercian Veterinarian Association recommends CO2 for at home euthanasia. Birds are a little trickier as you have to use enough CO2 concentration due to the way their lungs function. CO2 has a bad name in the poultry industry because birds are ushered into a large building, then CO2 is slowly pumped into the building, for protection of the human workers, which does cause a slow suffocation with panic in the birds.

But working on a small scale you are able to create a big cloud to lower the bird into (not safe for humans on a large scale). It is very effective and the kindest way I know of to cull.

LofMc

No it is actually using a dry ice cloud, based on CO2 deployment that high tech companies use to squelch fires. My husband works in one of those buildings, and when those gas jets release you get out or get dead. Your first gulp renders unconsciousness. You then asphyxiate within a minute.

With the dry ice method, you take a bucket, put dry ice in the bottom, pour hot water, wait for cloud to form placing lid on loosely (otherwise it will blow off). Once you have a nice cloud, lower bird into it. Putting some styrofoam on the bottom keeps the bird off the dry ice as a nicety. Close the lid. The bird takes a gulp, becomes unconscious, then dies fluttering from physical aftermath while asleep. It's over in about 20 to 30 seconds when done right.

The Amercian Veterinarian Association recommends CO2 for at home euthanasia. Birds are a little trickier as you have to use enough CO2 concentration due to the way their lungs function. CO2 has a bad name in the poultry industry because birds are ushered into a large building, then CO2 is slowly pumped into the building, which does cause a slow suffocation with panic in the birds.

But working on a small scale you are able to create a big cloud to lower the bird into (not safe for humans on a large scale). It is very effective and the kindest way I know of to cull.

LofMc
I got ya now. I'd give it a try next time but I have no earthly idea where to get dry ice around here. Haven't seen any around since the 70s.

I got ya now. I'd give it a try next time but I have no earthly idea where to get dry ice around here. Haven't seen any around since the 70s.

I find mine at the local grocery store (Fred Meyer/Kroger's). Most major chains have a white deep freeze bin at the front of the store with a sign. You have to ask for help as by state law (at least in Oregon) someone has to help you to be sure you don't burn yourself by stupidly picking it up with bare hands.

So I go to the first check out counter and ask to buy dry ice. Someone is called and helps me. It is cheap, usually about $1.50 a pound. You only need about 1/2 pound to do several big birds or a bunch of little ones.

LofMc

I find mine at the local grocery store (Fred Meyer/Kroger's). Most major chains have a white deep freeze bin at the front of the store with a sign. You have to ask for help as by state law (at least in Oregon) someone has to help you to be sure you don't burn yourself by stupidly picking it up with bare hands.

So I go to the first check out counter and ask to buy dry ice. Someone is called and helps me. It is cheap, usually about $1.50 a pound. You only need about 1/2 pound to do several big birds or a bunch of little ones.

LofMc
I just found out that Publix sells it about 10 miles away. I may try it here in a week or two when it's Roo Culling Day. Thanks!
:hugs

Back
Top Bottom