Ideas on what breeds these 2 are?

I'm not sure about the white one but the dark one is a Dark Cornish for sure. I have a DC roo and a hen. They say DC's aren't good egg layers but my hen lays a nice cream white egg at least every other day. She's the friendliest hen I own and loves jumping up on my arm or back and having short little chickie gab sessions with me while I'm working in the chicken run. Here is a picture of my DC roo and hen when they were about 5 months old I think. Roo is the front one trying to snatch cottage cheese from my cup..lol.

Somebody correct me from my insanity...but the white one looks like it could have some Cream Legbar in it????

That top not looks like a modified crest, and the pattern is almost a wash out of one.

Lady of McCamley

Somebody correct me from my insanity...but the white one looks like it could have some Cream Legbar in it????

That top not looks like a modified crest, and the pattern is almost a wash out of one.

Lady of McCamley

It could very well be mixed with cream lebar.

As far as the personalities of the DC's, mine are really flighty. But I got them when they were already laying so who knows how they were treated before. The people I ft them from didn't know what they were, they didn't with most of the others I got too.

As far as the personalities of the DC's, mine are really flighty. But I got them when they were already laying so who knows how they were treated before. The people I ft them from didn't know what they were, they didn't with most of the others I got too.

Thank you all for your help!

This Dark Cornish is also very flighty. Won't let me get anywhere near her. Trying to take a picture up close was a task!!!

Now I'm trying to figure out which hen is laying which egg. With those 2 and a Barred Rock,

I'm getting these:

That's not a Barred Rock...it has a white earlobe, which means it will be your white egg layer. True Barred Rocks have red earlobes and lay large brown eggs.

Your barred bird in the photo is the mix of a barred breed and some white egg laying breed (like a Leghorn or Minorca, which the comb is reminiscent of)...the barring is dominant...and I understand the white skin is as well (?) someone correct me if I am wrong there.

So you have a barred bird with white earlobes that lays white eggs....but not a Barred Rock.

The Dark Cornish and the White mixed bird (which I suspicion has Cream Legbar somewhere in its genes) will be laying the cream or brown eggs.

My guess is the white mix is laying the smaller cream eggs as the Cream Legbar blue gene dropped out (blue is created with blue pigment over white base, and does not pass along easily), and the Dark Cornish is the large brown eggs at the right end as it is a known brown egg layer.

My guesses...as I am still wrapping my head around the genetic thing....so someone may correct any errors.
Lady of McCamley

Last edited:
I agree your "barred" bird isn't a barred rock. Like lady of McCamley said it has white earlobes. It also doesn't look to have yellow legs. And the reason I said "barred", is because that does not look like barring. Barring is very clean an neat. Your bird looks to have a cuckoo type pattern. Cuckoo is more clouded and sloppy.

You guys are so awesome! I have learned so much this week.

ThAnK YoU!!!

Back
Top Bottom