ideas to stop digging dog

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Wyo Chick, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Wyo Chick

Wyo Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

My dog is digging up my yard! Yesterday, he fell in his own hole and now I'm afraid he will hurt his leg. He digs and barks at the hole as if there is something in there. He has several dug around the yard and it looks like a mine field. Any ideas?

2. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Does he get enough exercise with you outside of the yard?

3. Wyo Chick

Wyo Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

I knew that question would be asked!!! He is a Sheltie and never gets enou exercise! That probably is the main reason he dis. We have a large yard and assume he gets enough exercise in it. But I don't think he does.

4. okiehen

okiehen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Fill his holes with his poop, he'll stop at some point when he gets in the poop a few times.
    And you can get him a treat ball that will give him someting to do other than dig.

5. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yeah, I don't think they will self exercise nearly enough and that is SUCH an active, people-oriented breed...

6. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    my dog Tala was a large breed...and when she started to dig i put small little mouse traps in the holes she dug....(they were not big enough to hurt her)...when she tried to dig the next time they snapped and the snapping sound scared her ..for a few months after that she would sit there and bark at a trap when she seen them (it was funny it was like she was saying...common big man make that sound again..) it took about 3 months but she never dug after that

7. Southern Gardener

Southern Gardener Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2008
    Louisiana
    Dogs will dig for a number of different reasons. Some are just natural diggers and you won't be able to break them. My chocolate lab is a born digger. She is never in the yard unattended and get lots of interaction and obedience training from me.

A dog will dig out of boredom. Make sure your dog gets plenty exercise and attention from you. They will dig when its hot - the dirt provides a cool place for them.

Try a kiddie pool - fill it with dirt and hide chew toys in it and teach him that this is the only place he is allowed to dig.

Hope this helps!

8. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    Keeping their claws (nails) short will help some.

9. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:I ad a border collie who did that exact thing.. he died a couple of years ago, but some of his craters still remain..

there was a huge fox farm near here and they had the same problem with their foxes sort of.
    they would dig under the fences.
    those guys stumbled on the ida of cutting a certain tendon in the fox's foot .. that prevented the fox from being able to dig.. You could check with a vet to see if he could do it for you.. The procedure was a simple snip, and it did not hinder any other movement of the animal.

10. flopshot

flopshot Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    i had a Dalmation that did that. turns out he was hunting moles. don't let anyone tell you Dalmations are deaf. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by