Ideas Wanted: Building giant "pooper scooper" to sift coop litter

Scifisarah

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Rockford MI
My Coop
My Coop
We've always used a thick layer of pine shavings in our chicken coop, waited until it is as nasty as possible, and clean it out and put it into our compost heaps. I'd rather have less wood shavings and more poop going into the compost heaps though since I think it would be better for our veggie gardens. I also want them to have cleaner living conditions in the coop.

I was at the farm store and found that they now carry very fine wood shavings. Most of the pieces seem to be about 1/4" or smaller. I was wondering if anyone had built some kind of giant scooper to just sift out the nasty bits. It seems like this kind of bedding would almost act like clumping kitty litter, where the little pieces would stick to the poops. My two ideas are getting one of the horse manure scoops and lining it with hardware cloth, or finding a lacrosse stick thing and lining it with hardware cloth (Nevermind, those are expensive, even used!). My coop is 4x8'. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Last edited:
Why not a kitty litter scoop zip-tied to a broom handle??
OR
If it really seems to work like scoopable kitty litter ... get one of the manure rakes designed for mini horses and cover with hardware cloth (like you said) but then turn it handle side up and just rake it through the 'sand' to pull all the poo to you? Then a quick scoop, scoop, scoop and it's clean. You might want to look into the threads about Sweet PDZ. People are raving about how easy it is to clean and how well it handles smell.

By the way - your coop is ADORABLE!!!!!!
love.gif

I'd love to see picts of the inside.

Back
Top Bottom