identification band/tagging methods

JillZaHulk

Songster
Oct 4, 2019
Western Washington State
Ok... We're getting close to letting all our ducks roam together. We have 8 hatched in December who I want to put some kind of identification on first. I'm thinking of just tagging them all to make things easy. Maybe purple for the girls and green for the boys to make it easy to tell from a distance which are boys and girls but then each having their own labeled number on their tag. But I can't decide between the leg rings or the wing tags. I've heard the leg rings can rub and cause sores or issues. What are your experiences and thoughts?

BTW we have 10 pekins one Mallard and one khaki.

Ducks are pretty fast growers, You'd constantly be widening the zip tie and it would cause a lot of discomfort to the ducks if it started constricting its leg, As an alternative you could put food coloring on their legs or on the top their head for identification

Ducks are pretty fast growers, You'd constantly be widening the zip tie and it would cause a lot of discomfort to the ducks if it started constricting its leg, As an alternative you could put food coloring on their legs or on the top their head for identification

At this point they are all full grown. I made sure to wait till grown to put identifications on. But now that they're getting ready to mix with the rest of the flock I want to be able to tell them from the rest

Ok... We're getting close to letting all our ducks roam together. We have 8 hatched in December who I want to put some kind of identification on first. I'm thinking of just tagging them all to make things easy. Maybe purple for the girls and green for the boys to make it easy to tell from a distance which are boys and girls but then each having their own labeled number on their tag. But I can't decide between the leg rings or the wing tags. I've heard the leg rings can rub and cause sores or issues. What are your experiences and thoughts?

BTW we have 10 pekins one Mallard and one khaki.
I have done zip tie leg bands and my gang hasn’t had any negative issues yet. But I do have one duck that does have a normal leg band on. I have their legs to make sure. The only time there was an issue was when grass got caught up in it. But I made sure that it was loose enough to still have plenty of space around their skin.

At this point they are all full grown. I made sure to wait till grown to put identifications on. But now that they're getting ready to mix with the rest of the flock I want to be able to tell them from the rest

If they are full-grown then just use colored zip ties and check every now and then to make sure they aren't constricting the legs.

Back
Top Bottom