Identifing the kind of duckling

Well... not something specific... But on the whole - they are pretty massive, noisy and agressive, and my kids cannot play with them. The males bother the chickens sometimes... and they make the yard very dirty. I wanted small ducks that dont grow much, which he promised me these two are. But from what you have written, I understand I have Muscovy again.... Maybe these two are females? So less noisy and less agressive... I hope...
I also really can't image muscovy being loud. I have 8 muscovy and 20 mallard derived breeds. The mallard derived breeds are super loud! There are quiet individuals and others that like the sound of their own voice. All my neighbors know I have ducks. However I am not sure who is messier, but I feel like the mallard derived breeds are. The mallard derived ducks tend to dig holes in the mud with their bills creating a tripping hazard.

Those look like they are likely going to be solid chocolates.

Thank you.

What color do you think they will have when they grow? By the way, I was told by my friend that these two were sex-vented and both are females. Do they look like females to you?
I don't know about your ducklings' adult plumage: I do know that muscovy come out of the eggshell one color and completely change when they get their first feathers; then they change again after maturing from juveniles to adults.
We might be able to take educated guesses as to your muscovy sex when they are 8 weeks old. It's not possible to know before then except by vent sexing age Day 1. I would assume they are females if they were vent sexed, but post photos when they are 8 weeks and we will take a look!!

Last edited:
I don't know about your ducklings' adult plumage: I do know that muscovy come out of the eggshell one color and completely change when they get their first feathers; then they change again after maturing from juveniles to adults.
We might be able to take educated guesses as to your muscovy sex when they are 8 weeks old. It's not possible to know before then except by vent sexing age Day 1. I would assume they are females if they were vent sexed, but post photos when they are 8 weeks and we will take a look!!
Great!! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom