Identify breed of this bantam pullet

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Taylorhens, May 31, 2011.

1. Taylorhens

Taylorhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    Aubrey, TX
    Hi,
    I have a 15 week old "mystery chick". She is a very tiny bantam pullet. At 15 weeks, she can still easily stand in the palm of my hand. Any ideas what breed she is? Her legs are clean (no feathers) and are a very bluish gray color.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  2. stellacat

stellacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    She looks like a black tailed buff japanese except for the looong legs.

3. Memphisjourney2seramas

Memphisjourney2seramas Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    is this a free chick from McMurray? I looks like a serama or if it is from mcmurray...a japanese bantam. Just a guess.

4. Taylorhens

Apr 24, 2011
    Aubrey, TX
    Quote:It was a free chick from my local feed store (a very reputable independent, NOT TSC). I am sure they get some hatchery stock in addition to the local breeders I know they buy from, but I'm not sure if they get any from McMurray).

Thanks for the answers. I'll do some searching for pictures of the seramas and Japanese to compare.

5. stellacat

stellacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
  6. Maximus

Maximus Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Altha Florida
    I think it is a Black Tailed Buff Jap Bantam.

7. Taylorhens

Apr 24, 2011
    Aubrey, TX
    Quote:Even though it has long (blue) legs? Thanks!

8. appychick

appychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    Unfortunately Jap Bantams don't breed true & you get both long legs & short legs...............So far haven't seen one that its legs don't match !!!

9. jc12551

jc12551 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    S.W. TN
    The tail and carriage don't seem right for a Japanese. Nor is the tail, carriage, wings, or leg color right for a serama. I first thought Wheaten OEGB, but the leg color is wrong...I think. What is her comb like? Can we see a pic of her standing (relatively) still?

10. Taylorhens

Apr 24, 2011
    Aubrey, TX
    Quote:Thanks, I'll try to get a still picture. She is rarely still though! She is like a little roadrunner. Everywhere she goes, she goes at full speed! I am not good at picking out comb types, but I'll study up and give it a try. Right now it's still so tiny it's hard to see. It hasn't grown at all--which is why I think she's a pullet.

I'll post again later with pics.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by