Identify These Tracks!

acemario

Crowing
11 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Northern Utah
Thanks to a fresh layer of snow, I found some tracks leading to my chicken coop. We have some neighborhood cats, but these tracks seemed bigger and with a longer stride. Maybe it's just a larger cat!? Any idea? I'm in northern Utah at the base of the mountains.

Last edited:
I'm no expert on tracks, but I would guess a fox. It looks like some claws are visible, and claws wouldn't be visible on a cat.

I love seeing tracks in the winter snow. We have birds, rodents, coyotes, cats, chickens, dogs, rabbits and deer. It is fun to track their behaviors through the field.
smile.png

What's the distance between each, and size of print? The shape is definitely interesting. Possibly Possum if they are small and tight, a fox has a stride closer to a small dog to give you an idea, coyote prints are roughly smaller than the average palm. Are there mink type creatures in Utah? Then again with the smaller creatures you would have more tail drag.
Attimus

Last edited:
Pics of tracks need something laid down next to them for size reference....
...money usually works best, quarter, dollar bill.

I was basing my guess off the shape. Opossums, mink, raccoon, skunk and coyote have different shaped paw prints to this in general. However, a size reference would certainly help determine it.

Back
Top Bottom