Identify this odd egg

Kerry Ellen

Chirping
May 10, 2020
Connecticut
Any thoughts about what the heck happened here? My hens are 10 months old. I think this is from my speckled Sussex. She took the last two months off laying, has laid two eggs in the past week, and now this gem this morning. Should I be concerned?
BF13A29F-9D61-4FC5-89D9-819932180BD6.jpeg

Top one looks a bit like a lash egg, which could be a sign of illness.
I've gotten eggs like the bottom shell-less egg you have there when my birds are re-starting laying after a break. It could also be a sign of illness, stress, or insufficient calcium, depends on what other symptoms you are seeing. Generally I would not be too concerned about getting an occasional shell-less egg, but with a lash egg also, I would check for other symptoms - weight loss, lethargy, etc.

Does she otherwise seem healthy? Even if so, couldn't hurt to watch for other symptoms and add some ACV to the water in case something's off - a tbsp per gallon is good.

Top one looks a bit like a lash egg, which could be a sign of illness.
I've gotten eggs like the bottom shell-less egg you have there when my birds are re-starting laying after a break. It could also be a sign of illness, stress, or insufficient calcium, depends on what other symptoms you are seeing. Generally I would not be too concerned about getting an occasional shell-less egg, but with a lash egg also, I would check for other symptoms - weight loss, lethargy, etc.

Does she otherwise seem healthy? Even if so, couldn't hurt to watch for other symptoms and add some ACV to the water in case something's off - a tbsp per gallon is good.
Thanks so much for the reply. She otherwise seems completely fine. Doesn’t appear to have lost weight, access to food all day, minimal treats, active. The past few days have been the coldest she’s ever experienced (4 degrees tonight, yikes!) and one of her flock mates does bully her a bit, which has seemed to escalate now that the cold winter weather has them cooped up more. Hoping it’s just a bit of stress coupled with starting to lay again. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Thanks so much for the reply. She otherwise seems completely fine. Doesn’t appear to have lost weight, access to food all day, minimal treats, active. The past few days have been the coldest she’s ever experienced (4 degrees tonight, yikes!) and one of her flock mates does bully her a bit, which has seemed to escalate now that the cold winter weather has them cooped up more. Hoping it’s just a bit of stress coupled with starting to lay again. Thanks again for your thoughts.

Good to hear that she is otherwise alright. It certainly could be stress-related, so yogurt or ACV will help protect her immunity while she is stressed. Winter can be a bit difficult on them. Some straw or old bedding in the run may encourage them to go outside, but otherwise it's only a matter of waiting out this cold spell. Good luck with her!

Any thoughts about what the heck happened here? My hens are 10 months old. I think this is from my speckled Sussex. She took the last two months off laying, has laid two eggs in the past week, and now this gem this morning. Should I be concerned?
View attachment 2508893
Did you cut open that smaller one?

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Yogurt and ACV are not going to do much.
Good basic chicken ration and plain water is best.
If anything extra is given,
some savachick electrolytes/vitamins really help against cold stress.
I mix up a bit and soak the solution up in rolled oats to avoid wattle dippage.
Small batch ratios here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-hot-weather-spiel.75893/

Did you cut open that smaller one?

What all and how exactly are you feeding?
Yogurt and ACV are not going to do much.
Good basic chicken ration and plain water is best.
If anything extra is given,
some savachick electrolytes/vitamins really help against cold stress.
I mix up a bit and soak the solution up in rolled oats to avoid wattle dippage.
Small batch ratios here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/aarts-hot-weather-spiel.75893/
Thanks for the response. I didn’t cut it open. Panicked a bit I guess and chucked it then furiously searched the internet. They are fed Purina organic layer feed (16% protein) and it’s available all day. Oyster shells and grit always available too. Plain water from nipples. I’ll throw a few tablespoons of scratch or black oil sunflower seeds in the run at the end of the day, especially in this freezing weather. A few times a week I’ll give them half a cabbage to play with or some greens from the fridge. They can eat what they find when free ranging, but again, freezing temps out there and that’s not much. So long story short, their diet is primarily layer feed. Thanks for the electrolyte tip. I do have some of that so I’ll give it a try.

I didn’t cut it open. Panicked a bit I guess and chucked it then furiously searched the internet.
Eh, that's fine, BTDT. Now I save, dissect, and photograph all oddities.

Thanks for the electrolyte tip. I do have some of that so I’ll give it a try.
It really helps, both in hot and cold extremes.
Best to avoid an open waterer, the oats soak works well, it takes some time to prepare but they gobble it up.

Back
Top Bottom