Identifying keet colors

Hello again! Just a follow up question. While browsing through livestock photos, i came upon this keet. Again this is my first time with gf of other colors. Btw, the photo is not mine. I asked the owner and accdg to her, it would grow up to be a pearl grey pied. I have hatched a decent number of PGs, PG pieds, and lavender but none of them looked like this keet.

Is it really possible for this cutie to be a PG pied? Or will it turn put to be of a different color.

Because if this keet is of another color, i would definetly take it home.... 😁😁😊

And.... If i may still add..... These are 2 of my guinea cocks.... And from what the breeder said, they are cinnamon. Are they really cinnamon gfs?

Just temporarily are they staying in those pens. So as to know which keets came from whom.

Thanks!
It is really hard to determine anything from those pictures other than it is a pied keet.

To me, your males do not look like cinnamons but that is just my opinion based on those photos.

Oooooooh....... Another genetic problem that i need to fully digest and understand... 😅😅
Just recently, i also have been trying to understand cutthroat chicken color genetics which somehow ( i believe 🤔🤭) i am starting to grasp the concept.. Gf color genetics is nothing different from chicken colors (when it comes to difficulty understanding the concept). I will work harder to understand everything. I hope to be as good as you guys in the (not so) near future....

Thanks a lot everyone!!
The main difference between understanding guinea fowl color genetics vs chicken color genetics is that while there has been lots of research on chicken color genetics, there is very little quality research on guinea fowl color genetics.

It would be really nice to get someone like a grad student working on their Master or Phd degree that had access to DNA research to do a thesis on guinea fowl color genetics.

I am sure that I would not be the only one interested in providing samples.

The main difference between understanding guinea fowl color genetics vs chicken color genetics is that while there has been lots of research on chicken color genetics, there is very little quality research on guinea fowl color genetics.

It would be really nice to get someone like a grad student working on their Master or Phd degree that had access to DNA research to do a thesis on guinea fowl color genetics.

I am sure that I would not be the only one interested in providing samples.
Definitely! I too have noticed that. Resources are very limited.

It is really hard to determine anything from those pictures other than it is a pied keet.

To me, your males do not look like cinnamons but that is just my opinion based on those photos.
Exactly! Your opinion really matters!! It proved my suspicions of them not being cinnamons... If not, then what color could they be?

As with the pied keet, i understand. Actually those were videos that i screenshot... 😅
I stopped asking further questions since the owner wasnt too accommodating.

Hello again! Just a follow up question. While browsing through livestock photos, i came upon this keet. Again this is my first time with gf of other colors. Btw, the photo is not mine. I asked the owner and accdg to her, it would grow up to be a pearl grey pied. I have hatched a decent number of PGs, PG pieds, and lavender but none of them looked like this keet.

Is it really possible for this cutie to be a PG pied? Or will it turn put to be of a different color.

Because if this keet is of another color, i would definetly take it home.... 😁😁😊

And.... If i may still add..... These are 2 of my guinea cocks.... And from what the breeder said, they are cinnamon. Are they really cinnamon gfs?

Just temporarily are they staying in those pens. So as to know which keets came from whom.

Thanks!
I wonder if that is a “Teddy Bear” or greater pearled keet?
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/have-you-ever-seen-a-black-guinea.574405/page-2

But ya'll have me deep diving again- did you know there is a "Bonaparte"phenotype? @Mixed flock enthusiast I think you have these? And take a look at (k) cinnamon pied. I guess the Gran knew what he was doing when he insisted ours be named Bella afain, as this time "Isabella" (j) is accurate.
https://scialert.net/fulltext/?doi=ijps.2020.432.446
I lurk at a FB site called GuineFowl VGS. The name Dana Manchester comes up quite a bit for his work in guinea fowl genetics and this chart. Dana also says that this chart is out of date and needs to be modified, but it encompasses semi-pearling, attenuate, and dunn genes. Freeland Nash just wrote this post today describing guinea fowl genetic in terms of Dana’s chart. I’ll take some screenshots and upload here, along with the chart. Freeland is located in OK, like me, and I’m hoping to get some hatching eggs from him in August! He thinks eggs will hatch as pewter, pastel, bronze, copper, and coral blue.

Attachments

• 6FD5A84F-6433-4E6F-B099-4A1B7C58C515.png
    6FD5A84F-6433-4E6F-B099-4A1B7C58C515.png
    371 KB · Views: 13
  • FDDDCDF0-4F69-4239-8865-201F01068E9E.png
    FDDDCDF0-4F69-4239-8865-201F01068E9E.png
    357.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 38E61BC6-6C90-4A8B-9E33-2E28448A3E55.png
    38E61BC6-6C90-4A8B-9E33-2E28448A3E55.png
    356.9 KB · Views: 10
  • 313730E9-1292-4381-8CCD-C59F2CA70ED0.png
    313730E9-1292-4381-8CCD-C59F2CA70ED0.png
    352.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 0E65FB69-013C-4156-81FA-E9DA1A556AA6.png
    0E65FB69-013C-4156-81FA-E9DA1A556AA6.png
    346.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 2E87D4B5-8E2F-4E82-B1A7-54FED143AF04.jpeg
    2E87D4B5-8E2F-4E82-B1A7-54FED143AF04.jpeg
    102.3 KB · Views: 13
Pearl Gray is a dominant color gene which only requires the presence of one copy to be present. It is not an underlying recessive color gene which requires the lack of any other color genes to be displayed. It has been proven that Pearl Gray can carry hidden recessive color genes such as blue and buff.

What we know as the no dotting gene which I believe is actually not a gene but simply the lack of either the full dotting gene or the partial dotting gene. He is referring to this as the attenuating gene.

In my opinion,he is glossing over a lot of things. From what I have read, the buff gene is a sex link gene. I have seen no evidence that the Bronze is a sex link gene since the evidence available indicates that Bronze is a variant of Royal Purple. I did not see any mention of the dark shade variance.

I lurk at a FB site called GuineFowl VGS. The name Dana Manchester comes up quite a bit for his work in guinea fowl genetics and this chart. Dana also says that this chart is out of date and needs to be modified, but it encompasses semi-pearling, attenuate, and dunn genes. Freeland Nash just wrote this post today describing guinea fowl genetic in terms of Dana’s chart. I’ll take some screenshots and upload here, along with the chart. Freeland is located in OK, like me, and I’m hoping to get some hatching eggs from him in August! He thinks eggs will hatch as pewter, pastel, bronze, copper, and coral blue.
Wait.. isn't that whole explanation abt bronze genes exactly what I read abt the brown gene? - there were 2 more questions that popped up...the bronze..when I think of bronze, I think of soething w/ a reddish or orange tint, like the keet that started this conversation. Obviously I'm no one to disagree on genetics, but it seemed an odd direction to go to reach bronze.
The second question had to do w/RPs, but I'm going to have tovremember what I was thinking 1st. Lol

Back
Top Bottom