Identifying my chickens problem

RhodeIslandRedHead

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2018
Rockland County, NY
Hello All,
I found my Rhode Island Red gasping for air, making loud noises and laying on the ground, a few min after I picked her up, she seemed to be fine. I immediately separated her from the flock in fear of AIB. Its been two days (still quarantined) and she will not squawk or call out. When she tries its a low raspy hum almost like it hurts to call out or cant. Alice, as we call her has a full appetite, normal behavior, drinking is normal and so is her stool. She has laid a full egg once, the night of the outburst and yesterday she laid just the shell of an egg and nothing again today.

Can anyone help me identify what is wrong with her? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Right now I am giving her VetRx, ACV and garlic in her water as well as an application of VetRx on her nostrils. Cinnamon (for circulation) in just a little oatmeal with pomegranate extract (anti-influenza).

Thank you so much for your time and effort.

Snapchat-6390079.jpg Snapchat-6390079.jpg
Snapchat-6390079.jpg
Snapchat-6390079.jpg

My advice to you is to stop all the "stuff" you're giving Alice, none of it is necessary. Give her plain fresh water to drink and only layer feed to eat.

She might be egg bound. Place her in a container of warm water up to her sides and gently massage her underside front to rear while she's soaking. Do this for about 20 minutes.
The warm water will relax her innards, massaging will encourage her to move the egg along. Then with a disposable glove, put a little olive oil just inside her vent and on the outside. This will make it easier for her to push the egg out.

If she is egg impacted, there's not much that can be done for her. Since she laid a shell of an egg, it's possible the contents are inside her which would lead to a massive bacterial infection. Unfortunately antibiotics wouldnt help.
I've had soft shell eggs dangling from the vent and gently pulled them out with good success and without any other problems. I hope this was the case for Alice.

My advice to you is to stop all the "stuff" you're giving Alice, none of it is necessary. Give her plain fresh water to drink and only layer feed to eat.

She might be egg bound. Place her in a container of warm water up to her sides and gently massage her underside front to rear while she's soaking. Do this for about 20 minutes.
The warm water will relax her innards, massaging will encourage her to move the egg along. Then with a disposable glove, put a little olive oil just inside her vent and on the outside. This will make it easier for her to push the egg out.

If she is egg impacted, there's not much that can be done for her. Since she laid a shell of an egg, it's possible the contents are inside her which would lead to a massive bacterial infection. Unfortunately antibiotics wouldnt help.
I've had soft shell eggs dangling from the vent and gently pulled them out with good success and without any other problems. I hope this was the case for Alice.

Even though she is passing her stool normally? And eating her normal layer food and acting fine? Im also worried about her raspy voice. Wound being egg bound cause her to loose her voice?

Even though she is passing her stool normally? And eating her normal layer food and acting fine? Im also worried about her raspy voice. Wound being egg bound cause her to loose her voice?
No.
If she was really egg bound she would probably be dead already.
She is probably sad that you took her away from her friends.

Back
Top Bottom