Identifying the Brood

The last black chick looks like a pullet to me, and the white one is the next strongest contender for a pullet. The first black and the red one look like roos to me, but another month should let you know for sure! I don't know what Mama is, but she is a beautiful bird!

I think your black ones look like Jersey Giants maybe? The red one is definitley a little roo, probably a Rhode or Rhode mix. I think the white one is a gorgeous hen!!!
smile.png

Quote:
Those are my guesses too. Not sure what Speckle could be... But she's very beautiful!
smile.png

Yep I think so too! on all counts.
smile.png

Thank you. I think the guy just called the three that aren't the Rhode Island Red 'fancy breed.' I don't know what that means (or really care). I just want them laying eggs.
smile.png

The red one looks like a cockerel for sure, but he is colored like a red sexlink hen. So he is probably 2nd generation red sexlink. The white one looks like a Delaware cockerel, but I suppose there is a slight chance it's a girl, post again in a few weeks. One of the black ones looks like a boy, and the last one looks like your only girl. I have a broody pullet that hatched out 6 eggs late fall, too! She killed one of them, I have no idea why, and one just disappeared last week (we've been having hawk problems, so it might have been a hawk. But mama has also been extra fierce to the other chickens the past week, so I suspect that chick may have been pecked to death while mama's back was turned.
sad.png
) Anyway, I am fairly sure all 4 of our babies are boys! They all have really red combs already! They are mostly EE mixes, and 3 have really red straight combs and one looks to have a pea comb, possibly, but it's also really red.
sad.png
4/4 boys! Oh well, they're still adorable!

Quote:
Those are my guesses too. Not sure what Speckle could be... But she's very beautiful!
smile.png

Yep I think so too! on all counts.
smile.png

I agree. In my mind, I'm 96% certain you have three roos. The remaining 4% is in case of a sex change.

Back
Top Bottom