Identifying the EE's

Kezzie

Songster
10 Years
Feb 15, 2009
Coastal Georgia
Hi, all!

I have a question. I have had three batches of chicks from MM in the past three weeks (long, sad story). Each batch was supposed to have 3 EE's. None survived from the first batch and one survived from the second batch. I know Chickpea is an EE because she has the muff (she's going to be all white and just gorgeous!).

In the third batch, all the chicks survived so there should be 3 in there. I can only identify one by the muff. It is a chipmunk. I have so many other breeds in there that have chipmunk striping that I can't pick out any other EE's by coloration and I don't see muffs on anyone else. They'll be a week old tomorrow so I'm thinking it's too young for their legs to start greening up.

Can I have muffless EE's? Or ones where the muffs develop later? I can't identify about 2/3rds of this batch yet because their chipmunk striping all looks similar.

Thanks for your help!

try looking at the legs,it isnt foolproof, but ameraucanas should have slate feet/legs... some other breeds also have this, so it may help to narrow it down.

Thanks but none of them have dark legs
sad.png

My EEs had willow (greenish) legs as chicks. They did not start developing the muffs until they started feathering up.

I feel the need to point out that there is a difference between EE's and Ameraucana's. Look up Pips&peeps profile and go to her site - there you can see what a true Ameraucana looks like. Feed stores called them Ameraucana's, but they are EE's, not true Ameraucana's.

Ameraucanas are a type of EE, but a breed their own. Find her website. You will see what I mean.
big_smile.png

my EE's didnt have green legs for a little while, they grew into it. Of the 3 I have 2 have muffs and 1 is clean faced. Mine all looked like chipmunks so I cant help you there.

Back
Top Bottom