Identifying the egg eater

teriz1091

Songster
7 Years
Oct 6, 2015
Kansas
I have been having problems with someone eating eggs, shell & all. I find wet spots in the nest boxes, & yolk on other eggs. No sign on any of the birds themselves.
flock consists of 5 big hens, 2 bantam hens (one broody & sitting, one with newly hatched chicks), & 2 roos. They share 4 nest boxes. They have free access to layer feed, I throw a bit of scratch every day, & give them kitchen scraps on occasion.
I know the hen with chicks is innocent, as she’s been confined to the brooder cage with the babies. Other than that I’m clueless as to who is the guilty one.

You need to catch them in their crimes.
I’ve also heard of people pranking egg-eaters out of the habit by putting wooden eggs in the box 😉

How often do you gather eggs? Can you hear them when they sing the egg song? Get out there right away and don't leave eggs in the nest. One hen with this bad habit will soon teach it to the others. Next, put fake (ceramic) eggs or golf balls in the nests. When they bonk their beaks on those a few times, they often stop their evil habits. You may also put a trail camera in the coop to catch the culprit. Is oyster shell always available in a separate dish? It helps make hard shells. Fragile eggs break easily, leading to egg eating. Good luck!

How often do you gather eggs? Can you hear them when they sing the egg song? Get out there right away and don't leave eggs in the nest. One hen with this bad habit will soon teach it to the others. Next, put fake (ceramic) eggs or golf balls in the nests. When they bonk their beaks on those a few times, they often stop their evil habits. You may also put a trail camera in the coop to catch the culprit. Is oyster shell always available in a separate dish? It helps make hard shells. Fragile eggs break easily, leading to egg eating. Good luck!
Excellent suggestions.

I gather once or twice a day. But my broody hen is sitting on 6, so hers are kind of sitting ducks for the egg eater.

Back
Top Bottom