idias for baby chick perches?

This is actually in a trunk. I didn't have it covered cause I didn't think they could hop/fly that high. This is how I found them in the morning. I'm lucky they were still there
That's what mine started doing this weekend too! Luckily dh was sitting right next to them the first time they jumped up. He got right to work building them a lid with hardware cloth.

For a roost, I found a scrap 1x2 board in the garage and suck it in the brooder. It's just sitting on the ground, but the chicks seem to like it. By next weekend, I think I will drill some holes in their brooder and thread a dowel through for them to perch a couple of inches off the ground.

Thanks, it wasn't until later in the day when we moved the trunk to clean it that we realized the girls had investigated the book shelf. They had torn up some book corners and of course pooped on it. Oh we'll, that's what I get

Take a branch about 4 or 5 inches around and cut it down the middle. makes 2 reallt nice stable perches for them to climb up on.

Kevin

I used a dowel rod in my brooder and the chicks love it.

Another cheaper option.. A broken cinder block (broken at the holes so you dont get stuck chicks) Requires no assembly to the brooder. place it flat side down with the broken hole side up (So there should be three perches).

It is super sturdy and will not get knocked over by the chicks. Just make sure you check for sharp edges... Voila!

I found some bird perches in the pet section of WalMart. My girls really love them. They screw onto the side of my dog kennel/chicken brooder. They are easy to adjust in placement and in height.

I wired free chop sticks together just keep them entertained. Seemed to keep them from playing king of the feeder dish and pooping in their food.

Started with a 1x6 on edge, then upgraded to a 2x2 mounted up on some 2x6s.
Some use it, some don't. The middle picture below is all the Faverolles huddled together and protesting that I turned off their heat lamp instead of using the roost... But you can see what it's made of ;)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom