IDing Roosters

LAChickens

Songster
10 Years
Feb 12, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Okay, I'm tryng to sort out my flock so there are a few issues here.

The first: I ordered chicks in Feb., I received "warming" roos with the order and now they are grown and pictured at 28 weeks. I thought they were Barred Rocks but now I'm not sure, they are black and cream/yellow, not white.

The first two are the same rooster. His barring is white and black, his neck feathering is cream/black with random spots of brown.

This is another rooster shown at 17 weeks, I'm pretty sure he is a Black Barred Rock? - He's darker than the rest, was twice the size of the others (nearly full-sized) at 17 weeks and more black and white than the others but also with the random brown spots. His neck feathering and trailing feathers are black and white barred.

I realize that all of these may be a badly marked Barred Rock or some mix...what is it someone said, if they aren't purebreed, they're just chickens :)

The main reason I care is this...

While I was on vacation recently, my house sitter thought it was cute to let a Wyandotte sit on a clutch of all brown eggs. I now have 8 chicks. I have bought hatchery chicks and "pure bred" fertile eggs so these is the first "mixes" I've tried to ID/sex. There are only 4 rooster options - 3 look like the birds above, the 4th is a flighty Danish Brown Leghorn, who I purchased to breed with my birds, but sadly he may be the lowest bird on the totem pole —hen or roo and his breeding options are limited presently.

Here is a crappy photo of the light chicks - there are 3. The largest one, lower left, has feathered feet and I only have two laying hens with feathered feet that also lay brown eggs — so it has to be a Brahma Cross or a Gold-Laced Cochin Cross. But in a cross would the rooster's genes not show? I'm leaning towards Brahma since it has the broad Brahma head. The other light colored chickens that lay brown eggs are Cornish Crosses. I think the little yellow one, center, is likely a Cornish Cross. The Gold one top centered...Cornish Cross also? It looks like the Brahma but with a bit smaller head and no feathering on the feet.

These are the black chicks, there are five. They look like Barred Rocks - The other hens I have that I guess may be contenders are Silver-Laced Wyandottes, wishful thinking? The one farther back in the food dish is darker than the other four. It had a black beak and black feet.

A little better top view of the two darkest birds - lower center and right. They both have dark feet. I'd like to know if they are all Barred Rocks, and if I have three roos and two pullet chicks?

The complete list of chicken breeds I have is: Ameracaunas (I wish), Barred Rocks, Black Australorps (not laying), Black Star/Black Sex Links (not laying), Buff & Light Brahma, Cornishes, Cochins, Danish Brown Leghorns (not laying but rooster active), Gold Star/Golden Sex Links (not laying), Nankins (not laying), Wyandottes

Any help appreciated.

Oh, also can someone confirm - the bird below is a rooster? It was purchased as an Ameracauna pullet chick but is looking a LOT like a rooster to me.

Willing to provide any further info/pix that might help.
THANKS!

Your barred roosters are black sex link roosters. They had a barred momma and a solid red father. Half their chicks will be barred, half won't but there's no way to tell gender. You'll get some pretty mixed colors!

IF your leghorn roo mated one of your barred rock hens, those babies would be sex linked (boys barred with white headspot, girls solid black) but there's really no way to tell, is there?

And then that handsome easter egger rooster in the last pic. Definate boy!

Donrae.

THANKS! And thanks for the speedy response. I love this group!

Hmm, I looked up Black Sex Link Rooster and I'll be ******, those do look like my guys. Didn't see that one. Just knew they didn't look like the photos of Barred Rock Roos I could find online — though some of those are mis-ID as well.

If that is the case, could the rusty colored non-feathered leg chick be a Sex Link chick of some kind? Or does it not work that way?

I'd LOVE for the black pullet chicks to be BSLs I have one now and she's gorgeous. I'd love to add a few more to the flock.

I was 99% certain the that Easter Egger was a roo. He's very pretty with a lot of iridescent green feathers. (why do they sell them as Ameracaunas? Or this one, which was sold to me both as an Aracauna (which I knew was wrong) and a pullet. I have 8 Easter Egger hens from other sources mostly in shades of orange/gold/brown/black — what I like to call "men's suiting colors& patterns" — I'd love to cross him with some of the hens and see what I get. I like how the hawk-like appearance seems to be dominant in Easter Eggers and carry through the crossing of the breeds.

Thanks again!

Your barred roosters are black sex link roosters. They had a barred momma and a solid red father. Half their chicks will be barred, half won't but there's no way to tell gender. You'll get some pretty mixed colors!

IF your leghorn roo mated one of your barred rock hens, those babies would be sex linked (boys barred with white headspot, girls solid black) but there's really no way to tell, is there?

And then that handsome easter egger rooster in the last pic. Definate boy!
x2

Any sex link chick you get will be from your leghorn roo over your barred rock hens. They'll be black with some white on the belly but solid heads.

I have a great black sex link roo and have enjoyed hatching out his babies. My hens were a leghorn/ee cross and I've got some very interesting colors! Three chicks who are about 3 months old all have barring to some degree, but two had that chipmonk look when they hatched. I'm eagerly awaiting what they look like when they're feathered out!

Donrae, have you posted any photos of the chicks? I'd love to see them when they feather out. I realize at 3 months, most looks like something only a mother could love :)

Hdowden - Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom