Idk what’s wrong with him

Ethanpg22

Chirping
Aug 26, 2020
So ive got a cery young rooster and for three days now ive noticed he never leaves the coop, he just stands in there with his eyes shut he looks fine but he never gets up to eat or drink please help me

Attachments

• ADBA25F6-3E8F-49F4-9706-DECAAABA91FD.jpeg
    ADBA25F6-3E8F-49F4-9706-DECAAABA91FD.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16
How old is he and how long have you had him? What do his droppings look like? Feel his crop, is it empty, full, hard, soft and squishy? Does he have any respiratory symptoms, discharge from eyes, nares, beak, wheezing, coughing or sneezing?

How old is he and how long have you had him? What do his droppings look like? Feel his crop, is it empty, full, hard, soft and squishy? Does he have any respiratory symptoms, discharge from eyes, nares, beak, wheezing, coughing or sneezing?
Well I figured out what was wrong, he is on the very bottom if the pecking order and the other ones wont let him eat or anything

Well I figured out what was wrong, he is on the very bottom if the pecking order and the other ones wont let him eat or anything
It's time to add another feeder and waterer to your set-up. In this cold, he can't go long without food and water. If you set up another feeding station, he has a better chance of getting his rations without being chased off.
How many roosters do you have in that coop/run? Ideally, that's how many feeding stations you should maintain.

I'd try to separate him and see how he does. This way he doesn't have to fight for his food and water and he has time to heal until you can get more answers

Keep in mind if you separate him out of sight of the flock, you wont be able to just let him back in - there will have to be an adjustment / reintroduction period. You can avoid this by having him in a dog crate or similar where the rest of the flock can see him but not harass him.

ETA obviously the bullying him off the food also needs to be addressed because thats not just going to go away by getting his health back up. More feeders and more space is the best plan so far.

Keep in mind if you separate him out of sight of the flock, you wont be able to just let him back in - there will have to be an adjustment / reintroduction period. You can avoid this by having him in a dog crate or similar where the rest of the flock can see him but not harass him.
Well when he grows up he will be able to fight for himself being a roo

Well when he grows up he will be able to fight for himself being a roo
I was just talking about separating him for a little bit, not until he reaches full maturity. If OP has other roos, introducing a grown roo that hasnt been part of the flock is probably not a great idea because he'll fight.

Back
Top Bottom