idont know if my eggs are viable

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BaileyBoy, Feb 8, 2014.

1. BaileyBoy

BaileyBoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2014
    Hi i built a homemade incubator and have turned my eggs twice a day for the past eighteen days, the humidity and temp have been spot on at 99 and 62. However, today is the 20th day so my eggs are on "lockdown". Before i put the eggs on lockdown (Raising the humidity and stop turning them), I candled my eggs, i didn't see what all of the charts say i am supposed to see. I think its a yolk floating in the middle. Some of them it doesn't move but some of them do. The reason i am confused is that there is now bad smell and my friend (a chicken owner) says that that is what happens and they ARE still viable. Any words of advice, or words of reassurance.
    Also, these eggs are rhode island reds so i don't know if maybe they take longer or something?

2. shmccarthy

shmccarthy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2013
    Michigan
    If the eggs are on lockdown age, 18 days, then the entirety of the egg except the air cell should be very dark, and you shouldn't be able to see the yolk. It sounds like the eggs are undeveloped or infertile, which can happen if you have a young or old rooster, or if you have a lot of hens. As for the smell I cannot say.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    If there's a strong smell, find the egg that smells and get it out of there...there's a chance that it could explode and you don't want that to happen!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by