If a bird has Marek's, how long will it live? update...swollen face...

LindsayB

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2008
Cypress, Texas
I'm not really sure if my Production Red pullet has Marek's. I wrote a post about 2-3 weeks ago about how she has always acted weird since we got her as a day old chick. She is 13 weeks old now and still the exact same...Alittle off balance, can't jump to roost high, dull feathers. (although her new ones coming in look way better) And she eats and drinks wonderfully. I don't think she has Marek's but I guess it could still be a possibility. My question is, if a chicken has Marek's, how long does it take for the disease to eventually kill the bird?

Last edited:
Usually Marek's kills at youg adult, the age when hens will start to lay. If it is a chick, I don't know. If it is a Mareks lesion/tumor causing the neurological symptoms, it depends on when it spreads to a more vital area (nerves or organs).

Usually it is a rapid onset of paralysis, usually a wing or a leg. Depigmentation of an eye or eyes and blindness (grey in color) is also a sign.

If your bird isn't progressing at this point, it might be 'just' a neurological injury, and this might be as bad as it gets. Usually if it is Mareks there is a steady decline.

Best wishes for your bird.

Thank you! You made me feel so much better. After reading that I don't really think Marek's is the issue with my pullet. She hasn't really gotten any worse or better since we've had her.

So while feeding the girls today I noticed that half of her face is slightly swollen around her eyes...ugh...this bird has me soooo puzzled! anyone have any ideas about what is wrong with her??

What ever happened with your pullet? I have practically the same situation now, and am curious what to do.

Mine is approx 3 months old sleeps ALL the time, is uncoordinated.... and yesterday I noticed one "cheek" was swollen. Mareks could be a possibility - but she CAN stand if she decides to (before she falls asleep after a 30sec of doing anything) so theres no actual paralysis, I don't think. Just sits on her knees and sleeps 95% of the time. If shes awake and you touch her, she konks out immediately. Shes been wormed, no mites. Wouldnt even defend herself or run when I tried to introduce her to my 2 big chickens. Narcolepsy? Sick? Mareks? I hate to say it, but I'd like it to either get worse or better! (preferably the latter)

FYI just as an update for anyone else who might have this same issue - my pullet did die after a few days
sad.png
She got worse daily, and after 2 days was lying on her side, breathing sort of heavily, eyes closed. Eventually when she was sprawled on her side w wings out and droppings stuck to her rear, I agreed to cull her to put her out of her misery, as she was definitely not getting better. Super hard to do - luckily housemate did it, he had wanted to do it earlier than I did. The person I got her from offered me a replacement bird (I told her about it in case it was indeed Markes) but I didnt want to have to go through nursing a chicken until death again, so I declined.

Anyway, her final symptoms were a red blotchy area on the under skin of her wing, her face was still puffy, and what seemed like paralysis, and she was lying there slightly contorted at the end.

I'm a little scared to get small birds now...

Aww poor you! None of my birds has ever had Mareks before, you can get small birds, just make sure they've been vaccinated! A little like my chicken Scaley, who died of a heart problem, she was gasping for air on her side, then she got up after about an hour, head started to droop, still gasping, quite a quick death, her head drooped for about 10 seconds then collapsed!

Back
Top Bottom